2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Boost on OBD1 ram?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 10:56 PM
1995-318
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Boost on OBD1 ram?

Hi everyone, here's my problem...

I have 1995 ram 1500. It has a 318. 1995 was unfortunately for me the last year of the OBD1 system and that's what I got. I can talk mechanical upgrades all day long however when it comes to tuning it becomes a foreign language to me. My 318 has about 1500 miles since I completely rebuilt it with all Hughes engines performance parts but I know I can still push more horsies if I add a turbo or a supercharger. I don't have MAF sensor so I know my computer uses a combination of other sensors to determine how much air is "suppose" to be entering the engine and it goes off of that. So my question is if I put some sort of forced induction on it will the computer adjust or will it not know what to do and it just run horribly? If it will run horribly is there some sort of aftermarket product that allows me to tune an OBD1? Also I'm not going to convert to carb. I like having some sort of monitoring system even if it is just minimal. Is concert to an OBD2 system before I went carb so if forced induction isn't possible for my truck as it is I'd also take advice from anyone who did an OBD2 conversion.

Thanks in advanced to anyone knowledgable on this topic

Old 05-16-2016, 08:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,192 Likes on 2,945 Posts

Welcome to DF!

I am going to move this to the 2nd gen Ram tech section for ya.......

In order to run boost, you are going to require some variety of custom tuning. Unfortunately, for the Dodge OBDI systems, there just isn't much available, and it can get expensive in a hurry. I think B&G are the only folks that do it, and its in the neighborhood of 250.00 a pop. (which you get to pay each time.) Expecting them to get it 'right' on the first go is wildly optimistic. More like third, or fourth.... at which point, you could have spent the money on some variety of standalone system.....

Converting to OBDII really wouldn't be all that difficult..... Level of complexity goes up if you have an automatic trans though...... It is *probably* possible to simply tune the trans out of the OBDII system, leaving only TCC, and O/D, but, you would have to chat with your tuner for that kind of information. Either that, or install an OBDII ready trans. (46RE) For this conversion, you would want stuff out of a 96-97 truck. 98 and up, too much other stuff changed, and would severely complicate things.

No matter which way you slice it though, you are looking at four figures just to make it work, not including the cost of the blower/turbo, etc.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:05 AM
1995-318

It is a manual trans so that's all good. What would I have to change on the engine to convert to OBD2 and also would the OBD2 connector fit up with the current body harness and what would I have to change with everything else?

Old 05-16-2016, 11:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

OBDI only has the one many-pin connector, OBDII has three, so, some re-pinning would be required. Might need to update some of the sensors as well, but, getting them off your donor truck would get you started at least. No auto trans to deal with makes life MUCH easier. Not sure if you would need the entire PDC under the hood.... Wouldn't hurt to have it, just in case. Would also need to add the post-cat O2 sensor..... If you could buy a parts truck complete, with blown motor, or some such, that would be best. So long as it comes from a V-8/manual trans, the electronics can be corrected to work with a smaller motor, if necessary. (so, grabbing all the stuff from a 96-97 3/4 ton with a 360 would work just as well. Stock, it would run the 318 a bit rich, but, you are going to need a custom tune in any event, along with a 2 or 3-bar MAP sensor.)

Old 05-16-2016, 11:11 AM
The War Wagon
Professional
Lightbulb

Performance ECU. I just put one in my '92 Magnum RC. You can get 'em at Summit - possibly other places.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:03 PM
1995-318

Do you know if the Instrument cluster from a 96 fits in a 95 dash? I know my cluster won't work with the OBD2 system

Old 05-16-2016, 04:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

For the 94-97, everything works exactly the same, as far as the cluster is concerned.

Quick Reply: Boost on OBD1 ram?