2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1-2 cylinders dead

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 11:38 AM
npr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had spark tester between wire and plug on both cylinders and they are firing as they should also while testing that I used extra injectors I have to see that those cylinders were pulsing by connecting them to the harness and you can feel them opperating

Old 07-03-2016, 04:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Did you try actually swapping the injectors?

Old 07-03-2016, 05:59 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So, I am trying to follow this thread...

If you have spark (good electrical, timing), have compression (rings, valves okay), and fuel, what makes you think that the cylinders are dead? Sounds like you have everything you need and they are functioning normally. You have checked that they are firing when they are supposed to. What am I missing?

Old 07-03-2016, 07:02 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We accept that the plugs are firing and the injectors are injecting, but if the plug wires don't go to the right plug, there's a problem. Like DBBD1 asked, why do you think these 2 cylinders are dead? Any codes?

Old 07-04-2016, 08:26 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had this thought at 3am (don't ask)...

You need to double check your plugs and wires. In fact, replace at least the plugs.

Assuming the plugs are wet with fuel and your compression is good, go for the plugs. That inline spark checker is only telling you that SOMEWHERE after that is a ground. The high voltage may be grounding through a short in the ceramic on the plug (signs of carbon on it?). I have also seen a plug arc nicely when grounded to the engine, when pulled out, but still would not fire under a compression load (how, I don't know). I assume that your plugs are gapped correctly too?

Quick Reply: 1-2 cylinders dead