2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2 batteries = high voltage!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 12:11 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, that's a solenoid type isolator.
Cool that may be the route I go, unless you guys have any better ideas/suggestions. I really appreciate the help guys, electrical is not my thing.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:58 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ballstimeballs
...In what you described above, with one battery draining and having a potentially bad starting situation.. What could result of that? Is there a way of preventing that from happening?...
The situation I alluded to was having a good start battery, and a drained aux battery.
When you start, the solenoids cut in and join the two batteries together.
The large difference in charge state between the two causes a large (high amp) current rush between them as they try to equalize their charge state.
This will test your wiring (think jumper cables).
And the rapid charge/discharge will dramatically shorten the life of your batteries.

A diode isolator keeps both batteries independent of each other at all times, and sends power from the alternator to charge both.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:42 AM
ballstimeballs
Professional

Originally Posted by Spillage
The situation I alluded to was having a good start battery, and a drained aux battery.
When you start, the solenoids cut in and join the two batteries together.
The large difference in charge state between the two causes a large (high amp) current rush between them as they try to equalize their charge state.
This will test your wiring (think jumper cables).
And the rapid charge/discharge will dramatically shorten the life of your batteries.

A diode isolator keeps both batteries independent of each other at all times, and sends power from the alternator to charge both.
Sounds like doide isolators the direction I should head in then. Thanks for dumbing it down for me and making it understandable

Old 07-16-2016, 09:25 AM
MedicNathan
Veteran

I used the solinoid relay you linked to, which works great. That being said my batteries are connected with 4/0 cable, with the intention of being able to jump start myself on cold days / after weeks of not using the truck.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:41 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

With a conventional jump start, you only connect the two batteries together long enough to execute the start... then you disconnect the good battery and the low battery is charged back up in a controlled manner by the alternator.

Quick Reply: 2 batteries = high voltage!?