2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newbie/ Ram 1500 w/5.9L

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 06:12 PM
marcpilot1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie/ Ram 1500 w/5.9L

Hi Y'all. Just got a used 98 with 5.9l. I'm sure it's not going to get the best mpg! Anyway, it looks good, to me anyway! Dash isn't all cracked as I've heard they're prone to do. Only prob is it's leaking coolant right at the middle frontish area, think it already needs water-pump. So, on to one of the "help" forums, that or maybe I can find a w/p sticky thing maybe? Thanks for letting me join and for the site to be running good, lot of folks like me need this forum to exist! Some of us(myself)need it Badly too!! THX!

Old 07-17-2016, 07:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Water pump really isn't that bad of a job, verify WHERE the leak is coming from first though. It may be leaking between the block and timing cover, or even one of the freeze plugs. There is one cleverly concealed behind the motor mounts that are prone to collecting crap, rusting out, and leaking. (don't ask how I know this..... )

You want to be in the 2nd Gen Ram section, I will move this thread there in just a bit.... While you are there, read the plenum sticky at the top of the forum. Since you need to dig into the front of the motor, might just as well check and see what else you need to do there, since you are going to be there anyway.

Welcome to DF!

Old 07-17-2016, 09:49 PM
marcpilot1
Professional

Perfect. Thanks so much HeyYou!

Old 07-18-2016, 02:56 PM
schmidtp
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Since you need to dig into the front of the motor, might just as well check and see what else you need to do there, since you are going to be there anyway.

Welcome to DF!
Welcome, and agreed! Might as well tear it down to the timing chain and replace all parts up from that (timing chain, gaskets, water pump, thermostat, plenum, plugs, wires, distributor, etc). Only a few hundred in a parts and a weekend job if taking your time. Good luck!

Old 07-18-2016, 03:12 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I had that "middle frontish" leak it was the bypass hose that hides under the accessories bracket and in that small area of the hose you cannot see without removing the bracket. When there was enough of it to drip it landed right where I'd expect a failed water pump seal to drip. I just did the pump, thermostat, hoses thing all the way around because the truck's old enough to deserve those things anyway.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:21 PM
marcpilot1
Professional

So, since it's already going to be taken down that far in the front anyway, I may as well replace, replace, relpace is what Schmidpt is saying. And I will. Also, if it is what Mr UnregisteredUser says, and not the water pump, then should I still change water pump? Like even if it's that hose right there by the water pump? Love the site already! Thanks!! Think I'll shoot on over to the 2gen rams repair area. Thanks again y'all!

Old 07-19-2016, 09:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

If it's high mileage, sure wouldn't hurt to replace it anyway. (along with timing set, etc. )

Quick Reply: Newbie/ Ram 1500 w/5.9L