2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cooling/engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016 | 10:20 PM
MemphisMade103
|

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Is your truck worth fixing is up to you. You can put new heads on the truck and a new radiator and once all that is fixed and things are working good you could drive for another 150,000 miles as long as you keep up on maintenance. That depends on how well you take care of the truck.
I owned a 96 1500 Laramie slt sport for over 2 years that never gave me Issues even with 240,000 miles on it. Never a smell, noise, leak or failed part until I got in a wreak. So if I knew I could get this truck to go that far then yes it's well worth fixing. If that seems like a long shot with my truck already having issues then I don't know if it's worth the cost. But I want to explore all my options before deciding. Choices choices...

Old 07-26-2016 | 10:20 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

My engine never showed any water in the oil or oil in the water. But once it was warm if the radiator cap was off it would blow the coolant out of the radiator under force. So it had to be a blown head gasket and/or a cracked head. When I did a compression test they all came up fine. 170lbs or better from what I remember. I never did the compression test when it what hot because I didn't have anyway to not burn the crap out of my arms. I bought one of the testers for exhaust in the radiator but it would blow the tester out of the radiator once it got warm.

Old 07-26-2016 | 10:28 PM
MemphisMade103
|

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Probably true..... Checking the oil, and see if it is contaminated with coolant really wouldn't be a bad idea..... Probably testing the coolant for combustion byproducts wouldn't hurt either...... Given how bad the heads are on these trucks, they just don't like getting hot......
I've already explored the possibility of a cracked head gasket but none of my fluids are mixing so far but I get a burst of black smoke when I start up and it takes 5-10 seconds to turn over when it's been sitting for a few hours so I originally just assumed it's my fuel pump, filter or injectors

Last edited by MemphisMade103; 07-26-2016 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Wrong word used

Quick Reply: Cooling/engine problems