2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans Fluid Temp V10

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 12:51 AM
vmaxept
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Fluid Temp V10

I just changed the transmission fluid and filter in my 2000 V10 3500.
I installed a pan drain plug with a temp sensor.
I did not want to cut into the trans cooler lines to install the temp sensor.

Question is, What is the normal fluid temp in the pan? What would be the max or too hot temp. I will assume it would be lower then the cooler line temp.

I tow about 17000# combined weight. Trans over heat light never comes on, even on the long steep pull to get back home.
Thanks

Old 08-13-2016, 08:51 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

I am assuming you have the factory trans cooler, If not time to ad one or a larger one. When and where you are makes a difference also. In Florida towing in mid July will be different than towing in Alaska in January.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:55 AM
vmaxept
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the chart. After I posted, I found a great thread here
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...nd-gauges.html
Posted before I searched more. That post and the above chart tells me to keep sump/pan temp under 180*. Plus the part about dropping out of OD and pull back to Second before I get into the grade. Cut the AC and keep the RPM up around 3K and just let it pull
I have a long 3 mile 7% + grade to pull to get back home. Most places I haul to are not in the 'mtns' . I mostly haul around east/central TN

With the inline Water temp gauge and the Trans pan gauge I should be able to manage the temps in the long pulls.

Yes the truck has the trailer tow pkg. I should be able to manage with that vs adding another cooler or a larger one.
I did add 2 fans ( pushers) A 10inch on the trans cooler and a 14inch on the AC coil. They both move allot of air. That should help with over heating. Fans were free

Thanks

Quick Reply: Trans Fluid Temp V10