2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lower Ball Joints will not stay in control arm

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 10:32 PM
TonyEdwards
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower Ball Joints will not stay in control arm

Replaced both upper and lower ball joints. Upper pressed in no problem, lowering I can physically just push the ball joint in and pull it out. Thinking I may have gotten the wrong ones from eBay I hit Auto Zone, got 2 more and the same result. I can put the old one back in and it has to be pressed and fits like it should. Anybody else had this? Thinking maybe I actually need OEM Mopar joints? The old ball joints failed at the joint itself and there was no movement in the control arm. More than likely going to just tack them in and call it a day.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:39 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is this a 2WD or 4WD? Are you sure you're ordering the correct ball joints? I had a similar issue with my Mazda where the ball joints I ordered from Rock Auto were too small in diameter. I ended up getting new control arms with brand new ball joints, but that's beside the point. Chances are, the places you're buying the ball joints have the wrong part number listed.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:45 PM
TonyEdwards

I kind of thought that from the eBay ball joints but then the Auto Zone ones did the same. Truck has 217000 miles on it, and this is actually the second set of ball joints I have put on this truck.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:20 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

2WD or 4WD???? What brand joints are they? Did you check the part # to verify they are the right ones?

Old 08-14-2016, 09:03 AM
TonyEdwards

2WD. As for the P/N I am looking that up right now. I would hope that Auto Zone would have given me the right ones but with my luck. I know they were not Moog.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:03 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Try Rock Auto. That's where I purchased my ball joints when I owned by 1997. They should install tight, just like the uppers. Sounds to me like there was an updated parts list sent to resellers that has the wrong part number.

DON'T tack them in place. If they aren't the correct size you run the risk of a serious accident down the road.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:57 PM
TonyEdwards

Well figured my problem, aftermarket ball joints from Auto Zone use P/N FA2073 these are the Duralast brand and pressed in perfectly and fit like the OEM ones, $45 a piece.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:25 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Glad you took the time to get it sorted instead of resorting to "shade tree repairs".

Quick Reply: Lower Ball Joints will not stay in control arm