2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 dodge won't shift out of first

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 07:47 PM
95_dodgeram1500_5.2
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 dodge won't shift out of first

Its a 98 dodge ram 2500 with the 5.9, I bought the truck drove it for 3 weeks no problems till the last few days it started acting like it was low on fluid a few times, I checked and it was fine. Then it just quit shifting out of first the next day so I parked it. I've changed the trans filter and added 5 new qts of ATF+4. When I dropped the pan the low rear reverse band had came off and was stuck to the magnet, I put it back on and put it back together and it still wouldn't shift. Does anybody have any other ideas?

Old 08-15-2016, 06:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Did you adjust the bands according to the service manual?

Need to check fluid in neutral, park will give you an artificially high reading.

Next step would be to unplug the 8 pin connector from the drivers side of the trans. (about halfway back, goes straight down into the valve body.) Go for a drive. You will have zero automatic function though... start in first, and shift at appropriate speeds. The trans won't do anything on it's own, (including downshift......)

If the trans goes into the gear you tell it to, when you tell it to, its just an electrical problem, and probably solved by replacing governor pressure sensor and solenoid. If it still acts strange... Your fix is going to be more expensive.....

Quick Reply: 98 dodge won't shift out of first