2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Heater control problem 00 Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 11:14 PM
J3cubfan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater control problem 00 Ram 1500

Hey Guys and Gals:
I have a problem with my heater. I get one temperature and that is hot, which isn't bad since we are getting ready to go into winter. Here's what happening. The heater controls that operate the temperature do not work. When they did, I would here a low humming noise when moving the controls from. So even if the controls are on cold, the temperature is hot.

I am thinking that it might be the thermostat, but not sure. Any ideas...
John

Old 11-11-2005, 11:49 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: Heater control problem 00 Ram 1500

it's not your t-stat. most likely your climate control module has a problem. I havent had that problem so that's about all I can say at this point...

Old 11-12-2005, 01:16 AM
J3cubfan

Any ideas as to what it would take to replace it?

Old 11-12-2005, 02:15 AM
draftingmonkey
Captain

Theres a couple of things it could be. If the cowl air intake is not blocked and the blower is working properly. It could be as steve says a faulty heater/ac module, or a blend-air door servo motor could be out. It can be quite involved to fix, anything from vacuum/electrical tests to pulling the instrucment panel and ac/heater ducts to get to servo motor. You really need some sort of manual to be able to check all the possibilities. Good luck.

Old 11-30-2005, 10:46 AM
J3cubfan

Hey Guys:
Found out what it was. There is a plastic door that redirects heat from the heater core when the temperature is turned to full cold and moves when the temperature is turned to warm then hot. This is something that the servo motors. Anyway, the door itself is plastic and when you put the hot and cold extremes over the course of 5 years, yep you guess it. The door broke off.

So with that, the dashboard gets to come back out along with the box that has the heater core and the evaporator. Sheesh, I wish that Dodge would get the heater and A/C controls correct on these things. Come on how hard can this be? [sm=confused06.gif]

I spoke with a mechanic and he said that we see about 3 Chrysler vehicle in here a month with the same problems. I asked him if the problem had been addressed with the Magnums, and Chargers. In his opinion, it really hadn't...

Old 11-30-2005, 10:59 AM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

If you have to go through all that to fix the problem, there is one other item that may, and I stress MAY, be a good thing to replace. The Heater Core. I've been told that to replace those, the dash has to come out. Fortunately, I haven't had to do that yet.

The only reason I suggest this is that I hate to repeat the steps to get at something that goes bad, when I was just in there a few days/weeks/months before. Especially as difficult as pulling the dash out.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Quick Reply: Heater control problem 00 Ram 1500