2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What will gear lube in Transfer Case do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 10:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

I think that's the difference between an LD, and HD....... Verify which t-case you have. There is a round tag on the back side of the t-case, just to the drivers side of the rear output.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:19 PM
Uniform
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I have the truck put back together, the noise is gone from going forward and reverse. I can get it up to about thirty miles an hour before I start getting a whine. It does not get stuck in four wheel drive. Drive line no longer clunks or slides back and forth. Unexpectedly, it is no longer clunking into Drive and Reverse. So the new chain and bearings made a big difference.

I still get metallic grinding when I turn, and the whine when I am going faster so I suspect that's my hubs. Another project for another time. Have fun ye'll.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:22 PM
Uniform
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Didnt see post earlier

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think that's the difference between an LD, and HD....... Verify which t-case you have. There is a round tag on the back side of the t-case, just to the drivers side of the rear output.
Yes, it was an HD. I called the dealership and they were surprised to see it in a half ton. Must be custom order. Difficulty was the tag was missing.

Last edited by Uniform; 09-10-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Originally Posted by Uniform
Yes, it was an HD. I called the dealership and they were surprised to see it in a half ton. Must be custom order. Difficulty was the tag was missing.
That makes it kinda hard to read.

Quick Reply: What will gear lube in Transfer Case do?