2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE Transmission Overheating Issue

Old 09-20-2016, 03:49 AM
nwalker813
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46RE Transmission Overheating Issue

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 5.2 46RE.

I've tried looking throughout all the transmission threads/topics, but unable to find what I need. I have been having a problem with my transmission overheating. Whenever I do any driving at all, the transmission temperature climbs up to about 190-210+. (I do have a trans temp gauge installed) This is with a very conservative foot, no hills, just daily driving around. After I get done with my driving, I can definitely smell burnt oil once I get out.

I initially thought my fan clutch was going out, however my engine stays at normal operating temperature and does not get hot like the transmission does. And the fan clutch does not spin freely. So first things first, I changed trans fluid/filter, and I check constantly to make sure it has the correct amount of fluid, still no improvement with the temperature.

So I have been doing a lot of research for a while now, came across the trans check valve delete. I removed the check valve, thinking maybe debris has clogged the line, and hoped that the trans temp would decrease. No such luck. Also made sure to clean the aux cooler as well.

I feel as though my gauge is correct, because a while ago I was towing a tent trailer up a big hill, trans temp gauge read 220+ then shortly after that my dummy light in the cluster went off. Pulled off after that to let trans cool.

Also, my trans cooling line only runs through the auxiliary cooler. It does NOT go through the radiator at all. I read somewhere that running it through the radiator can help cool it down as well? Any thoughts on that? I took it out the other night with outside air temps in the high 40's low 50's and trans temp got right up to 190 and kept climbing.. So I feel as if it's not just a climate thing, since its not too hot where I am at.

I am out of ideas on where to head from here. My next step is to route the cooler line through the radiator to see if that will help, but not sure if that's going to be a waste of time, since I only read one post on that, but couldn't find any other research to back it up. Any thoughts? Would love to hear any input you guys might have!

Much thanks in advance. Ill keep this updated if I find any solutions that work.

Last edited by nwalker813; 09-20-2016 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-20-2016, 10:03 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You don't have the tow package, which puts the trans fluid through the radiator. It does a good job actually. If you have the original radiator, then I'd be proactive and get a radiator that has the cooler into it.

If not, then you need to add an aux cooler that has a fan on it.

Like a Derale 13950. I have a friend that put this on his 46re and is loving it so far...~3 months.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

The cluster won't turn on the light until trans temp hits 275 degrees........ (F)

Old 09-21-2016, 09:58 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What type of AUX transmission cooler do you have?

My transmission overheated the day I bought my truck on the way home from the dealership. It turned out to be a bad torque converter. I got that fixed under the warranty.
A few years later I had to get the transmission rebuilt. FYI: don't tow heavy trailers (like 10,000 lbs) in overdrive.
The transmission guy deleted the check valve and bypassed the radiator cooling lines. He tried a transmission cooler that is a pipe snaked through cooling fins but the transmission was getting too hot when he was tested it so he swapped that cooler out for a stacked plate style and that makes it hold ideal temperature. I believe the cooler I have now is a B&M.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:08 PM
renardk764
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On 2001's the auxiliary cooler has a thermostat that diverts fluid until it reaches 100 degrees. In some cases this will clog and not allow fluid to go through the cooler. That being said, i think you'd see much higher temps if this was the case.

I have mine going through the factory cooler, them to a 180 thermostat, then, when the temp gets above 180, through an auxiliary plate style cooler with an electronic fan that turns on when the temp coming out is above 180. Highest temp I've seen is 190 during in traffic on a hot Texas day of 104.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 46RE Transmission Overheating Issue