2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'01 1500 5.9 no spark

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 03:06 PM
1cooldaddyo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 1500 5.9 no spark

truck has about 150K on it. Spent most of the summer going through the rear axle due to rusted brake drums (long story). Added new plugs and wires while I was at it. Drove it around a bit to break in the new limited slip diff (told you it was a long story). No problems.
Wife drives it to Home Depot to get some paint, it won't start. She tries a few more times, starts and she gets home. Has a code for the cam sensor. I replace it, still won't start. Realize the code is actually CKP/CMP sync so replace the crank sensor. Truck started but ran like crap. It was in kind of a bad spot, half in the grass half on the driveway, so I moved it over a bit shut it down and it hasn't started since.

I don't have spark from the coil.
I get 12v at the coil. With a test light backprobing the signal line to the coil connector I see ground with the key off, no ground when trying to start.
Fuel injectors can be heard firing if I pull the motor over by hand so I think the crank sensor is okay.
I think I'm down to cam sensor or PCM.

Please help! Where it's parked it has the Corvette blocked in!

Old 10-22-2016, 03:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

I would still look at the crank sensor...... That is what tells the PCM to fire the coil. Of course, the PCM uses that info to fire injectors as well..... so, six of one, half dozen of the other.

Keep in mind, our trucks are really picky about sensors in critical locations. (cam, and crank.....) Going with Mopar stuff there, while more expensive, works much better than the aftermarket stuff.

On the other hand, not as easy as a failed coil, is it?

Welcome to DF!

Old 10-23-2016, 05:37 PM
1cooldaddyo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SO I got it running....briefly.
I found one of my voltmeters has an analog display so I checked my "new" cam sensor and it was dead, put the old one back in and it started right up.
Drove around a bit, battery has been disconnected for so long that I guess the PCM forgot how to run the TCC 'cause it kept locking/unlocking but got gradually better.
Gave the boot one time and got a CKP code, but it also started running better...big surge in power.
Pulled in the driveway, idling smooth as glass, shut it down, cleared the code, now it won't start again.
Guess I'll throw some Dodge sensors at it and see what I get.