2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Left vs right total tie rod length

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 12:56 PM
aggiejet
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Left vs right total tie rod length

I replaced both sides (or all 4) tie rods, but used the original connector. I noticed that there was about 1 1/4" total length difference between the original assemblies when compared left vs right. (See picture) The assembly on vehicle right is the short one, and the ends of individual tie rods are almost touching inside of the connector.

I replaced the pitman arm and the steering box a couple of years ago. After doing that the steering wheel was about 45 degrees off. I noticed yesterday that when I started the engine that the steering wheel centered when the power steering was activated. I have most of the steering components off at this time (replacing ball joints initially) Only the pitman arm, idler arm, and main drag link were connected to the steering gear.

I have the steering wheel straight and the pitman arm appears to be straight.
From this position I took some measurements from the inner tie rod connection point to the stabilizer bar bushing rods and it appears that those are two different distances. Therefore it would be necessary to have tie rod total length differences.

Standing by for more education. (Hope the picture attaches)

Attached Thumbnails Left vs right total tie rod length-image.jpeg  
Old 11-10-2016, 03:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Make sure the steering BOX is centered...... Adjust the rest of the linkage to fit.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:32 PM
aggiejet
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Make sure the steering BOX is centered...... Adjust the rest of the linkage to fit.
Is the steering box considered centered when it takes same amount of turn to go full left as it did to go full right? Or another way to say it, amount of turn to from full left to full right then divide by 2?

Old 11-11-2016, 07:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yep.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:23 AM
aggiejet
Professional

After getting the truck aligned, the wheels are straight, the steering wheel and steering box are centered, and the pitman arm looks to be straight. However, in order for this to happen, the right tie rods have to adjusted almost all the way "in" and the left one are obviously adjusted a long way "out." i.e., my new tie rods look like the old ones in the OP. My concern is that I have practically run out of thread for future adjustments.

Here's what I think needs to happen to fix this:

1) Drive the truck into shop and somehow mark on the floor the position of the tires.
2) Ensure steering wheel is locked in centered position
3) Rotate both tie rod adjustment collars the same amount until the tie rods have same amount of thread showing on both sides. Both wheels will now be pointing to the right.
4) Remove the pitman arm from the steering box stub shaft and center or realign the wheels with the marks made in step one.
5) Reattach the pitman arm to steering box stub shaft.

Two problems with this, as I see it.

1) The pitman arm won't be straight. Not sure it matters.
2) only by dumb luck will the pitman arm line up with the splines on the stub shaft at that exact point. I wil have to use whatever splines line up at this point and then readjust the tie rods referencing my marks from step one.

Of course it will need a proper alignment after that. And luckily there are numerous tire shops within a mile or two of my house.

Fire away

Last edited by aggiejet; 11-12-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

There is a real possibility that the pitman arm is keyed, and will only go on one way.....

If the alignment is currently correct, and the truck drives nice, doesn't exhibit any undesirable behavior... I would leave that problem until it actually becomes a problem. Currently, it doesn't appear to be.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:59 AM
aggiejet
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There is a real possibility that the pitman arm is keyed, and will only go on one way.....

If the alignment is currently correct, and the truck drives nice, doesn't exhibit any undesirable behavior... I would leave that problem until it actually becomes a problem. Currently, it doesn't appear to be.
Roger that.👍