2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trying to solve spongy ride, rig is WAY not stock!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 08:26 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing is, I'm an unusual case. I have very heavy wheels. I've looked at Rancho's remote adjustable shocks, I've looked at reservoir shocks. I don't know what white rabbit to chase. This rig is my daily driver, and she see's off road action about once a week (more often, if I had my say)...

Old 11-20-2016, 06:38 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The weight of the tires has nothing to do with your suspension or what you're feeling in your seat from being "tossed around".

If your signature is right, then you're running military 37s with the military beadlocks. They are 16.5". They are a very stiff tire and depending on their date code, may even be even hardier. Drop down to 30 psi.

The sway bar is not that critical in the description I'm getting from you. The sway bar only plays when you're turning, to keep you level and some stability while in a turn.

Your tossing around description is difficult to diagnose from what you've shared so far.

We'd know better about actual setup with pictures. Seeing how your lift is, the control arm setup that sets the axle/tire relationship to the body, trackbar (very critical piece e.g., death wobble), and even how your rear end is setup.

Again, the weight of the wheel/tire combo has no bearing on what shocks you put on.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:00 PM
44dakota
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with wh1t3nukle, the weight of yours tires doesn't seem to be the issue, you say spongy ride? does this mean your truck continues to bounce more than 2 or 3 time while going over a bump( this is a shock issue) or does it feel like the bottom just fell out of the truck when going over a bump, this can also be a shock issue,but, you said you have a leveling it with stock shocks, you could be limiting movement ( especially downward movement) I would put a proper lift kit on the truck and maybe even ditch the 2500 springs from the rear also. Post some suspension pics, and you'll get better answers..

Old 12-04-2016, 09:14 PM
'96 Power Wagon
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post