2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Jerking at 50+ MPH

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017 | 02:13 AM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
|
Professional
Question Jerking at 50+ MPH

Hey y'all, I didn't see anything when I searched for this so my apologies if it's already been covered.

Working on truck in sig, up to about 240,000 miles. Just had ECM rebuilt, only throwing 1 CEL, P0455 (large evap leak) haven't been able to clear it (been that way for a couple years) chased down and replaced every hose I could get to including under the truck.

My problem now is the truck starts to almost violently jerk around 50 mph and above while accelerating, also noticed the last time I drove it that the CEL will flash while this is happening. I'm thinking the timing chain is due for replacement (hearing a noise from the motor that sounds like a possible chain, plus at this mileage it's probably due) so I've already got that planned, just wondering if that could be my problem or if I need to look elsewhere while I'm under the hood.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 01-07-2017 | 08:41 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

A CEL means something is wrong. A flashing CEL means something is really wrong. Check your codes again. you can check them with the key - on/off/on/off/on and the odometer will tell you what they are then end with PDONE.

If you slowly (like 4 seconds slow, not like a minute slow) run the tachometer up to about 3000 rpms will the needle do a smooth sweep or does it jump a little between 1500 and 2500 rpms?
Can you redline the tachometer with a quick hit of the gas pedal?

How old are your plugs, wires and the cap/rotor?

Check all of your vacuum lines for cracks/breaks.
Check the hoses and lines going to the charcoal canister under the truck like in this thread.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-leak-fix.html

Causes

A code p0455 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:
  • A loose or improperly affixed gas cap
  • A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand)
  • Other leak or damaged piece in EVAP system
Possible Solutions

With a p0455, the most common repair is to:
  • Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the codes, and drive for a day and see if the codes come back.
  • Otherwise, replace the gas cap, and/or
  • Inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses (you may hear a vacuum noise or smell fuel), repair if necessary
Found this in a different thread
Originally Posted by 4STFire
Had this issue a while ago and it just came back. Last time replaced the evap solenoid and the evap canister. The canister had deteriorated and was spilling charcoal into the lines. The solenoid was stuck open and likely had a chunk of charcoal stuck in there somewhere. Tried to clean solenoid with compressed air, but that didn't help. Blew out all the lines before installing new components. That fixed lasted 3 years.

Last edited by Sheriff420; 01-07-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-07-2017 | 10:29 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain

At about 45 to 50 mph these trucks go into overdrive, which is where you'll start to really feel any misfires that are happening. A flashing CEL under acceleration usually means a misfire.
First thing would be to check codes to see if it tells you which cylinder is acting up. P0300= multiple misfire, P0301-308= which cylinder is missing... IIRC.
You should also do a general check of the ignition system. Look for burnt/ cracked wires, check the inside of the cap and the rotor for build up / burnt contacts, and check the plugs. You're looking for anything obviously wrong, and hopefully and easy fix. If everything checks out okay, then it's time to start doing more troubleshooting.

Old 02-07-2017 | 07:47 PM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
|
Professional

Thank you all for the responses, I apologize for not replying sooner, kinda had a little SNAFU here at home, and just now got internet back online and got everything settled. Problem turned out to be plugs/wires. Did plugs, wires, cap and rotor just to cover everything, but plugs in 5 out of the 8 cylinders were running hot and had that wonderful yellowish/tan glaze and the ECM eventually did throw a misfire code for cylinder 6 before I was able to replace everything. for what it's worth, I was running NGK/R plugs, guess the truck doesn't like them, so I went back to Champion coppers. also got rid of the expensive (overpriced) 8mm Taylor plug wires (half the boots tore off or left the metal clips attached to the plugs when I pulled them) went back to basic OEM plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

Old 02-07-2017 | 08:35 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker

Glad you got it done and thanks for the update. We always want to know what the final fix was.

Old 02-08-2017 | 05:28 PM
BeccaSchwerty

So I am having a similar problem as the original post. I know this has been awhile but I don't want to make the same post. My truck is giving no codes (2000 Ram1500 with 5.9L) but I jerk above 60mph. Tranny shops says there is a misfire but I have new plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and ignition coil all within the last year. My next guess is distributor or fuel injector? Any tips?

Old 02-08-2017 | 06:51 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker

Which plugs did use? There is a TSB on proper spark plug wire routing.
A misfire "might" throw a code though.
What does the "jerk" sound and feel like?