2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Somthing killing my battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017 | 12:33 AM
K_wilhoyte99
|
Default Somthing killing my battery

sorry for making 2 threads in a day but my battery keeps dying even when I turn everything off it's a 1998 4x4 laramin slt I don't know if this is a comin thing but I turn my stereo and lights off but idk what is drawing power the battery was just replaced about a month or two ago and it still charges when it is running so it isn't the alternator I think it could be a bad ground or somthing is grounding that shouldn't cuz it has sapped me a few times when I shut the door but then agin it is winter and I've heard static electricity is common but idk let me know if you've had this problem or if there are any grounds I need to look at

Old 01-09-2017 | 01:02 AM
AtomicDog
Champion

Check to make sure your underhood/engine compartment light is off. I had to disconnect mine to turn it off.

Old 01-09-2017 | 01:33 AM
K_wilhoyte99
|

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Check to make sure your underhood/engine compartment light is off. I had to disconnect mine to turn it off.
it shuts off when I close it to a certain point but I will disconeact it anyway

Old 01-09-2017 | 06:43 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

it still charges when it is running so it isn't the alternator
You could have a bad diode in it and it would still charge. Disconnect it from the battery and see if it solves the problem. If not you need to get a digital volt meter hook it up to the battery then start pulling fuses to locate it.

Old 01-09-2017 | 08:25 AM
97ramrod1500
Captain

How old is the battery? It's possible the battery just doesn't hold a charge anymore.

Edit. . . Just woke up and missed where it says just replaced. It is possible the battery is bad though. Bring it back where you bought it from and have it tested. I used to work at sears and every now and then we would have a battery fail within a couple months of selling it. You never know how long it's Ben sitting on the shelf.

Last edited by 97ramrod1500; 01-09-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-09-2017 | 09:32 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran

Originally Posted by Moparite
You could have a bad diode in it and it would still charge. Disconnect it from the battery and see if it solves the problem. If not you need to get a digital volt meter hook it up to the battery then start pulling fuses to locate it.

exactly what I was going to suggest

Old 01-09-2017 | 11:15 AM
ram-tuff
Professional
Old 01-09-2017 | 02:03 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

I believe it's a bad SCTM in my dads 98 causing his to die in a day or so since the seat belt relays get powered for something like 30 seconds when you unlock the truck, turn the key or open the doors.
I was in it one day and heard the seat belt solenoids going nuts and disconnected the wire under the driver seat and the passenger side was still going crazy.
Something to check while you're poking around with the multimeter.

Old 01-09-2017 | 07:51 PM
Rjohnston69

Originally Posted by K_wilhoyte99
sorry for making 2 threads in a day but my battery keeps dying even when I turn everything off it's a 1998 4x4 laramin slt I don't know if this is a comin thing but I turn my stereo and lights off but idk what is drawing power the battery was just replaced about a month or two ago and it still charges when it is running so it isn't the alternator I think it could be a bad ground or somthing is grounding that shouldn't cuz it has sapped me a few times when I shut the door but then agin it is winter and I've heard static electricity is common but idk let me know if you've had this problem or if there are any grounds I need to look at
Check the a/c relay. I had a 1989 Dakota with the same problem. The a/c compressor would always stay engaged. changed the relay- fixed!