2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Install Tee on heater hose to help bleed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 06:25 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went at it with the "shotgun effect" in mind. I had those both cracked open after trying to force-feed in some water, all the while I was parked uphill, and with ramps, with the radiator cap removed. Oh, yeah, with a pinhole drilled in my thermostat. Work? Yeah.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:33 PM
Zbss2233
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shew sounds like you had a rough time like I am having. I wish I drilled my stat. I'm not going back in again. Last time I stripped a thread.. not fun. Thanks for the info. It helps me a ton.
I'll let everyone know my results.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:07 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That was something I seriously considered doing as well, to improve heater performance. I just haven't gotten to it yet...
You're not alone there... it's on my list also.

Additionally, I plan on doing a bypass valve for the heater core also, so I can keep as much heat out of the cab as possible in summer.

For the bleed, I plan on having a T (facing up) with a radiator drain **** in it.

Put a piece of hose on the tip to control the direction of the air/water discharged (save from getting a face full).

Last edited by Spillage; 01-12-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:16 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

I'd like to know why stant and others don't put air bleeds on the thermostats for small block mopar? They do on others. I see tons of the same posts about air in the cooling system. Also can someone put a post up in the how to section on remedying this? It may help with the many posts on the subject. Simple drill a hole in the body of the t stat. It will let out most of the air when filling and any remaining will find it's way out in the next few hot-cool sessions. I do this on ALL my t stats and never had a problem with air stuck in the cooing system. I use a 3/16 bit but you could go up to 1/4.

No air trapped in the cooling system! :grin

Old 01-12-2017, 09:48 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^Make sure to remove all burs though! Don't want them running around your cooling system.
(For those that need/want to do this)

Old 01-12-2017, 10:20 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Spillage
You're not alone there... it's on my list also.

Additionally, I plan on doing a bypass valve for the heater core also, so I can keep as much heat out of the cab as possible in summer.
You don't have to bypass it. Just stop the flow altogether.

Don't bother with hardware store mock ups. Get a valve made specifically for the purpose. You can find heater valves all over the junkyards. I used one from a Lexus.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-install.html

Last edited by Dodgevity; 01-12-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:27 PM
Zbss2233

I got antsy last night and installed the flush T on the return hose. It was very hard to get the old hose off and the new hose on the heater core line.
Word of advice, those things are not made of hard metal. I squeeze the line. I tried to put it back to a circle the best I could and slid the heater hose on. I couldn't get it all the way on. Maybe a half in short of firewall.

I didn't use the present hose. I just used a standard 5/8 heater hose.

Now, any tips on how to use this to bleed it? I burped some last night but I know I can do better. Should I bleed it with engine cold or running or bother, How far should i crack it? How much coolant should i let out? Any advice would be great!

Old 01-13-2017, 04:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,961 Posts

Engine stone cold, radiator cap off, engine running at idle.

Crack open the cap a little at a time, until you hear something escaping, or, you see coolant coming out. Tighten the cap.

And that should be it for the heater core.....

Old 01-13-2017, 11:03 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Looking to do this same thing on my 94. bought a bleed unit off of the good ol interwebs. My heat is oknot hot, and when I'm cruising down the highway, my temp moves up to the 220-230 area, about halfway to 260. If I give her the beans when going up a hill she'll go back down to about 200, and then slowly moves back up. If I accelerate on an on ramp it brings her down too. Cruising, no matter what speed sits at 220-230. Ides at 200. So hoping to fix that. Probably time for a new water pump soon aswell.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,961 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Suhr
Looking to do this same thing on my 94. bought a bleed unit off of the good ol interwebs. My heat is oknot hot, and when I'm cruising down the highway, my temp moves up to the 220-230 area, about halfway to 260. If I give her the beans when going up a hill she'll go back down to about 200, and then slowly moves back up. If I accelerate on an on ramp it brings her down too. Cruising, no matter what speed sits at 220-230. Ides at 200. So hoping to fix that. Probably time for a new water pump soon aswell.
Water pump, and, probably fan clutch as well. Either that, or go to E-Fans....