2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97ram

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 08:43 AM
Toms97ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97ram

HI, I'm lookin for some opinions on why my '97 ram 1500 sits uneven on a level concrete floor? The left front seems to be the low point and the right rear the high point. now for some background on the truck, it has a 3" lift "SkyJacker" , Never been in a wreck I know the 2 people that owned it before me. I recently put 2500 coils under it to see if my coils were bad, not the case shes still not level. I have noticed when under the truck looking to the front the axle arms are not at the same angle outward from the frame, there's more on the left (Drivers side) \I--- I/ Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Did you change the track bar as well? Lifting it some will tend to offset the front axle toward the drivers side.

How did the kit accomplish the lift in the rear? There is the famous "dodge lean"..... which comes from the drivers side spring settling more than the passenger side..

Old 01-26-2017, 08:59 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not sure that I have seen an older vehicle that didn't sag on the drivers side. Especially if the PO was "heavy." Some aftermarket suspension companies offer a shim for the drivers side, to offset this.

Your problem could be bushings, cab mount mounts, shocks, etc.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:03 AM
Toms97ram

HI HeyYou,
No I did not install the Lift, but it it is a stock track bar. the lift was installed by "Professionals" when the first owner had it. I can tell you this truck does a great job at evenly wearing out tires, as in no uneven tread or inner or outer tire wear. The lift is just 2 front coils, 2 lower control arms, 4 shocks, and an add-a-leaf spring in the rear. The truck rides great for 395,847 miles on her, just looks bad in a level parking lot. I have pondered the thought of the frame possibly being twisted? but there is no evidence of that?

Old 01-26-2017, 09:08 AM
Toms97ram

thanks, all body mounts are good? I put a jack under the drivers side behind the front axle and lifted it till she was level, I had 10" from front tires to fender and 12" from rear tires to fender, when i drop the jack I get 8.5" on the driver side and 9.75" on the passenger side fornt

Old 01-26-2017, 09:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Track bar being too short just moves the axle over. I would assume the truck was aligned after the lift was installed, so, tire wear wouldn't be a problem. If all four are wearing evenly, then its unlikely that the frame is twisted.

Take measurements at all four corners, with the truck sitting level.... See what you come up with.

Old 01-28-2017, 01:57 PM
ykf7b0
Amateur

Here is a thought: I would try to even it up with those old school twist in blocks for the coil springs. This worked on an old sagging Phord I once owned. I know this isn't a fix but it could improve the stance.

Quick Reply: 97ram