2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 ram 2500 wheel hub & studs

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 05:43 PM
shawn n
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 ram 2500 wheel hub & studs

I have a 98 Ram 2500 with a GVW of 8001-9000#. I'm rebuilding the front end and had trouble finding wheel hubs with studs installed, so I bought hubs and had my buddy press in the studs with a press at work. The splines on the studs go past the flange on the hub and wont dig into the hub like they are supposed to. I went back to the auto parts store where I got the studs and both GVW options have this feature. So the guy tells me they may dig into the rotor. I haven't taken apart mine yet to see as I have a bad ball joint and plan on taking it to my buddy's house to use his garage and I don't want to have the wheel off in front of my house. Anybody ever hear of the wheel studs digging into the rotor with it's splines? I would think this would make changing rotors (which I will have to do also) very difficult. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks to all.
Shawn

Old 01-30-2017, 06:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

On my 96, the rotors are staked to the hubs by the lug studs, from the BACK.... gotta pull the hubs to do anything with the rotors. May wanna pull a tire, and have a look. I am pretty sure that changed at some point, I just don't know when.

Quick Reply: 98 ram 2500 wheel hub & studs