2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Led Lightbar wired into Brights

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 10:27 AM
Ruleeman
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Led Lightbar wired into Brights

I have 2001 1500 4x4 with a 4th gen bumper. I have mounted a curved 43in lightbar inside of the bumper. It is wired up through a relay to come on with the highbeams and would like it to come on with the highbeams only. That part sort of works... When my running lights and dim lights are on, the lightbar is off. As soon I turn my lights off or turn my brights on the lightbar comes on. How do I get my lightbar to turn off with my lights?

Pin 30: Positive from battery
Pin 86: Positive from highbeam
Pin 85: Ground
Pin 87: Positive Lightbar
Lightbar: Grounded

I don't want to put to a switch in the cab because that defeats the purpose of having it wired into my brights.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:49 AM
Sonocativo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is it coming on when lights are turned off? There shouldn't be any power going to the relay from the high side wire so whats tripping it? Bad relay?

Old 02-02-2017, 11:20 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One your year truck, there is positive going to the lights and the relay completes the ground circuit. I'm not home right now to check the schematic.

Wire pos from the batt to your new relay (with a fuse). From the relay to the lightbar.

Ground the lightbar.

Run pos to your new relay.

Run ground for your new relay to the ground for the highbeams.

Should work great.

Last edited by dbbd1; 02-02-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:42 PM
Ruleeman

Turns out PIN:85 needed to grounded into the lights instead of the body. Works like a charm now!

Old 02-02-2017, 12:46 PM
Sonocativo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruleeman
Turns out PIN:85 needed to grounded into the lights instead of the body. Works like a charm now!
Nice, congrats !

Old 02-03-2017, 10:10 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruleeman
That's what I was going to say to do and what I am going to do on my truck.
I'm going to do it a little different though, I'm going to run the hot wire from the relay to a toggle switch in the cab then on to the light bar.
If it's raining heavy or snowing I believe the white LED lights will give me a lot of blinding glare from whatever is falling out of the sky so I want to be able to turn the light bar off but still run the high beams.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:31 PM
Ruleeman

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
That's what I was going to say to do and what I am going to do on my truck.
I'm going to do it a little different though, I'm going to run the hot wire from the relay to a toggle switch in the cab then on to the light bar.
If it's raining heavy or snowing I believe the white LED lights will give me a lot of blinding glare from whatever is falling out of the sky so I want to be able to turn the light bar off but still run the high beams.
I wish I would have done that! Driving at night while it is snowing means no brights because the light bar is just too bright.