2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

brake booster vacuum problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 09:09 AM
nelson82
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake booster vacuum problem

why will my truck only run if my master brake booster vacuum line is not hooked up? If i do hook it up it will die instantly or if not running and i hook it up it wont start

Old 02-20-2017, 10:45 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I would think its idle related, rather than vacuum related. But there is a check valve at the booster that the hose attaches to. I used to think it was just an elbow/nipple. But all it does is suck and provide vac to the booster.

So I'm thinking IAC behind the throttle body. If its gunked up with carbon (which it does) then it needs a cleaning. I added a HOW TO on here years ago for that procedure. That's the sensor that controls idle and when the vac hose is detached, it adds a huge vac leak which raises idle and thus, keeps your engine running albeit at a higher rpm. Stop the leak and now IAC has to keep idle at preset 550rpm which it can't. Try cleaning first!

Old 02-20-2017, 11:12 AM
barnett468
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

connect the hose then pinch it off with vice grips and two small pieces of wood like paint stir sticks.

start the engine and it should idle.

release the vice grips and if it dies your brake booster is leaking.

Quick Reply: brake booster vacuum problem