2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help! P1391 interm cam/crank loss

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 05:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Disconnect the battery, pull, and clean the PCM connectors. (both sides....)

Old 03-09-2017, 05:45 PM
Cmcs24fan
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well i may have found the issue. i was pulling and switching relays. (Back to the basics) noticed small melted point under blower motor relay, tore it apart checked the bottom closely looks like blower motor power wire got hot messed up a few wires around it. inluding one for the ASD. Ill give it a few days and let u know if all is well. makes sense when i bought it the guy had a darn light switch (household style) for the blower motor because i gyess tgat was easier than switching the control panel lmao.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:27 PM
Cmcs24fan
Rookie

Ok sorry for the delay. broke down and did everythin i could think of and that was mentioned. i replaced intake gasket again, timing chain, distributor switched to mopar sensors, it improved but it did not fix it im still getting interm loss of cam crank.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Check continuity of wires to cam and crank sensors. Hook up your leads, then bend and wiggle the harness around, see if it drops out.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:15 AM
Cmcs24fan
Rookie

I will try that next. wouldnt suprise me if theres a problem with the wiring. ive only got one stock injector wire left. tried wiggling the wires to notice a chang in running. shld i just peel back the coating on the wires? it wont run with it unplugged.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, it's a pain, but, ya do what ya gotta do.....

Old 04-16-2017, 08:17 PM
Cmcs24fan
Rookie

Well thats my next step on that code then. its running issue still feels like intake plenum. i just read another thread that you (heyyou) posted on about an aftermaket hughes plate. and that just replacing the gasket means ill be doing it again. well. i only replaced the gasket so i will be ordering that hughes plate. btw ive read alot on these forums and you really seem to know your stuff. thank you for your help!

Old 04-16-2017, 08:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You CAN just replace the gasket, if you also replace, or shorten, the bolts. They are just a tad longer than they should be, so, the gasket doesn't seal as well as it should. Check it, and see if you see any oil in there... If you don't, let it go for now.

I learned what I know about these trucks by having to fix the same problems on mine. That's why the 'replacement truck' has the 8.0..... a fair few of the issues simply are not there. That, and I LOVE the additional power. (but, not the sweep second hand on the gas gauge.....)

Old 05-02-2017, 06:12 PM
Cmcs24fan
Rookie

Sorry ive been so slow on here ive been slammed with work havent had a day off in a month now. So i checked the readings to the wire everythings good. Cleared codes. thinking i may have been dumb and not cleared after resetting the distributor. But i have another that developed. I was towing the job trailer when this one happened about 2 weeks ago. It now bucks between 45-55. Seems to be more so when rpms are low. If i turn my od off its tolerable but still lopes at idle like it has a mild cam.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:16 AM
oldmanofthemtn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you found what was causing your issue on this thread, I am now experiencing the same thing on my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 1391 code rough running, used to help if I took OD off or keep in second gear for a while then clear up but now gotten worse. Replaced cam sensor, and crank senor, had pcm checked and reflashed continuity test all the wires, will now only run ok when I 1st start it for a few minutes then as soon as it warms up, it barely runs. I had it to a garage they actually did all the work and they're baffled! need help if you've resolved your issue please let me know what fixed it for you if you would, thanks!!