2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 Ram 1500 4x4 vibration at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 06:23 PM
Drew Beaudry
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, that kinda what it seems like. It's a very low binding kind of vibration that almost sounds like tire rub. I have $14,000 into the truck and one of the very few things I haven't touched is the transfer case 🙄 Thank you guys for responding and letting me know what you think I appreciate it. I'll let you know how I make out.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:29 PM
Drew Beaudry

Originally Posted by HeyYou
May be a crunchy bearing.... at higher speeds, it's still there, just not as easily felt.
hey there, after driving it a while I started to realize it felt like it was partially stuck in 4wd. I looked at my CAD 4x4 vacuum actuator and found that one of the lines on it lost the clip and was very loose. A vacuum leak on this actuator would activate 4x4 correct?

Old 03-29-2017, 08:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Depends on which line. Both lines are used to move the fork. One to engage, the other to disengage, if it was engaged, and the outboard line was loose, it wouldn't disengage very well, and would leave the front driveshaft spinning.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:30 PM
Drew Beaudry

[QUOTE=HeyYou;3337798]Depends on which line. Both lines are used to move the fork. One to engage, the other to disengage, if it was engaged, and the outboard line was loose, it wouldn't disengage very well, and would leave the front driveshaft spinning.[/QUOTE

ahhh well the line on the left closer to the diff Is the one that's loose. I'm so confused about this vibration :/ it only happens at 0-35 mph and it feels like it in the front end, I'm almost positive. But like I said , everything's rebuilt 🙄 It's like a light shutter and when it down shifts to 1st gear right before a stop it's the worst. It'll even vibrate my glovebox and dash.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Since you feel it more thru the seat, than the steering, I would suspect something in the rear drivetrain.. have you pulled the rear drums, and had a look at the brakes?

Old 04-09-2017, 01:56 PM
Drew Beaudry

So I checked the brakes all the way around and they seem to have about 50% life left. Nothing out of the ordinary . I installed a new TPS sensor because it conveys data to the transmission which helped the truck at higher speeds with overdrive surges and whatnot but I still have the low speed vibration. The Tranny fluid looks great. I noticed the drivers side tire had play in it if I would grab the bottom of the tire and pull it in and out. The wheel bearing is brand new and the lugs are torqued correctly. It looked like the axle shaft in its self was moving about an eighth of an inch with the tire. I popped the diff cover off and the teeth/ gears look perfect. The fluid however has lots of metal in it and it's only about 500 miles old. What could this be ? Are the splines on the axle shaft mabye ruined. Or mabye a bad bearing near the diff?

Old 04-09-2017, 04:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Probably bad ball joints. Have someone else wiggle the tire, while you watch for whats moving, that shouldn't be.

Are the gears new? Or just the fluid change?

Old 04-09-2017, 10:55 PM
Drew Beaudry

No I can't get any "worn" movement out of the ball joints what so ever. The axle shaft that was put in was installed about a month ago and my mechanic said it was a used one 😒

The gears are not new but they look great and the fluid was clean but it did have metal in it. Thanks a lot for all your time btw

Last edited by Drew Beaudry; 04-09-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

The axle shaft doesn't support the weight of the truck, at all. Aside from transmitting power, the only other purpose it serves is to hold the unit bearing together. The axle nut has to be torqued to some truly stupid value, and if it isn't, you will get premature bearing failure. If you are getting in/out movement from the bottom of a tire, it's gotta be the ball joints, or the bearing......

Just change the fluid then, and keep an eye on it.