2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

stuck pitman arm and idler arm

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 06:09 PM
dpalo
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stuck pitman arm and idler arm

Is there any way to free up a pitman arm and idler arm? i have spent the past 2 days trying to get them free with a pitman arm puller, a pickle fork for the ball joints and a BFH. i replaced my ball joints and inner and outer tie rods recently and they werent nearly as tight . Might be because the ones im taking off dont have cotter pins just a nut that goes up to it. Has anyone else had this issue? if so how did you get them free?

Old 04-01-2017, 06:26 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Generously soak it in PB Blaster, a few times a day, for a few days...

Old 04-02-2017, 02:50 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

I remove pitman arms using a good pitman arm puller along with a good 1/2" drive air operated impact wrench, after dousing it with PB Blaster. Never had one not come off. I have broken cheap pitman arm pullers.

As for the idler arm, I use an idler arm pickle fork tool in a good quality long barrel air hammer after dousing it with PB Blaster and also never had one not come off.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:44 PM
ScottSinEC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem yesterday, the pitman arm REFUSED to budge, even after soaking in penetrating oil with the puller on it overnight. I checked the forum for advice and did not want to mess with the angle grinder. I went back out to the truck with the BFH and proceeded to beat that thing into compliance. Timing carefully chosen swear words with each swing made me feel better. When my arm got tired, I tightened the puller and noticed it now had some slack. A few more sequences of merciless beating and tightening and the recalcitrant arm slid off! Installing the new arm was made easier by separating the left inner tie-rod knuckle and the idler arm from the center steering link to let it move enough to engage the new pitman arm. Fun times!

Old 04-14-2019, 01:53 PM
wca_tim
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had good luck on a couple really tough ones with strong puller and impact wrench or air chisel with separator bit in it along with generous soakings with pbblaster... I've never found it necessary to cut or heat one... but I've been pissed off enough at a few that I considered it... LOL

Old 04-14-2019, 02:29 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

I use a puller from HF and a 1/2 ratchet with my jack handle and it comes right off. Granted mine weren't really stuck as bad as what you guys are saying. I usually just wack it lightly around it to jar it loose if need be.