2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Body swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 06:48 PM
Jmikk
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body swap questions

Hey all, I found a truck to swap the body to my Cummins and fix my 1500. My Cummins is a 98 24v and the 1500 I found is a 98 as well. Is it all plug and play or will things need to be changed other than the cluster? Need to swap pedals and such for the 5 speed and the hydraulics but that’s all whatever I suppose.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:40 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmikk
Hey all, I found a truck to swap the body to my Cummins and fix my 1500. My Cummins is a 98 24v and the 1500 I found is a 98 as well. Is it all plug and play or will things need to be changed other than the cluster? Need to swap pedals and such for the 5 speed and the hydraulics but that’s all whatever I suppose.
As long as they are exactly the same (ex quad cab 6ft bed) it will be good. Also depending on if you have the 2 plug CTM or the 1 plug one. If they are different, say your Cummins is 1 plug and the 1500 is 2, will have to swap your dash harness. I'd they are both the same you are good.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:47 PM
Jmikk
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
As long as they are exactly the same (ex quad cab 6ft bed) it will be good. Also depending on if you have the 2 plug CTM or the 1 plug one. If they are different, say your Cummins is 1 plug and the 1500 is 2, will have to swap your dash harness. I'd they are both the same you are good.
specifically the Cummins is a 98.5 id look at the plugs but the truck is at the shop and you seem to possibly know off hand what it might have for the year!

Old 04-13-2019, 08:30 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

specifically the Cummins is a 98.5 id look at the plugs but the truck is at the shop and you seem to possibly know off hand what it might have for the year!
It actually depends on the options the truck has. 1 plug was basic 2 was if you had the premium options and/or the factory alarm system

Old 04-14-2019, 09:10 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Don't forget the vin plate on the dash, May want to just swap the dash and harness over from the diesel.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:37 AM
Jmikk
Professional

Originally Posted by Moparite
Don't forget the vin plate on the dash, May want to just swap the dash and harness over from the diesel.
ill send the truck through dmv inspection for vin plates when I’m done. Reason for cab swap is rust, broken windshield, obliterated dash so much so that the vin plate is gone and just overall a goner. Hoping the ctm plugs are the same. We shall find out! Things would be so easy if they are I’m hoping for the best!

Old 04-14-2019, 10:49 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

ill send the truck through dmv inspection for vin plates when I’m done. Reason for cab swap is rust, broken windshield, obliterated dash so much so that the vin plate is gone and just overall a goner. Hoping the ctm plugs are the same. We shall find out! Things would be so easy if they are I’m hoping for the best!
More then likely they are, but it's not anything major. You will just lose certain features. Do you have the factory alarm system?

Old 04-14-2019, 11:18 AM
Jmikk
Professional

More then likely they are, but it's not anything major. You will just lose certain features. Do you have the factory alarm system?
not that I’m aware of or really concerned with, I lock the doors before I get out and unlock with they key every time. Sure fire way to know it’s locked up.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:35 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

not that I’m aware of or really concerned with, I lock the doors before I get out and unlock with they key every time. Sure fire way to know it’s locked up.
Only reason I ask is if they don't have the same number of plugs, you will just lose some features. Unless you had the alarm system which could mess up the whole vehicle.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:53 PM
Jmikk
Professional

Only reason I ask is if they don't have the same number of plugs, you will just lose some features. Unless you had the alarm system which could mess up the whole vehicle.
any idea what I would would possibly lose for features? As honestly as long as the windows, hvac, interior lights, radio the basic switches and other basic functions work if he happy.

Quick Reply: Body swap questions