2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Body swap questions

  #1  
Old 04-13-2019, 06:48 PM
Jmikk
Jmikk is offline
Professional
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 103
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body swap questions

Hey all, I found a truck to swap the body to my Cummins and fix my 1500. My Cummins is a 98 24v and the 1500 I found is a 98 as well. Is it all plug and play or will things need to be changed other than the cluster? Need to swap pedals and such for the 5 speed and the hydraulics but thatís all whatever I suppose.
 
  #2  
Old 04-13-2019, 07:40 PM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Champion
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,451
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Jmikk View Post
Hey all, I found a truck to swap the body to my Cummins and fix my 1500. My Cummins is a 98 24v and the 1500 I found is a 98 as well. Is it all plug and play or will things need to be changed other than the cluster? Need to swap pedals and such for the 5 speed and the hydraulics but thatís all whatever I suppose.
As long as they are exactly the same (ex quad cab 6ft bed) it will be good. Also depending on if you have the 2 plug CTM or the 1 plug one. If they are different, say your Cummins is 1 plug and the 1500 is 2, will have to swap your dash harness. I'd they are both the same you are good.
 
  #3  
Old 04-13-2019, 07:47 PM
Jmikk
Jmikk is offline
Professional
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 103
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 View Post
As long as they are exactly the same (ex quad cab 6ft bed) it will be good. Also depending on if you have the 2 plug CTM or the 1 plug one. If they are different, say your Cummins is 1 plug and the 1500 is 2, will have to swap your dash harness. I'd they are both the same you are good.
specifically the Cummins is a 98.5 id look at the plugs but the truck is at the shop and you seem to possibly know off hand what it might have for the year!
 
  #4  
Old 04-13-2019, 08:30 PM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Champion
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,451
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Jmikk View Post
specifically the Cummins is a 98.5 id look at the plugs but the truck is at the shop and you seem to possibly know off hand what it might have for the year!
It actually depends on the options the truck has. 1 plug was basic 2 was if you had the premium options and/or the factory alarm system
 
  #5  
Old 04-14-2019, 09:10 AM
Moparite's Avatar
Moparite
Moparite is online now
Champion
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,037
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Don't forget the vin plate on the dash, May want to just swap the dash and harness over from the diesel.
 
  #6  
Old 04-14-2019, 10:37 AM
Jmikk
Jmikk is offline
Professional
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 103
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Moparite View Post
Don't forget the vin plate on the dash, May want to just swap the dash and harness over from the diesel.
ill send the truck through dmv inspection for vin plates when Iím done. Reason for cab swap is rust, broken windshield, obliterated dash so much so that the vin plate is gone and just overall a goner. Hoping the ctm plugs are the same. We shall find out! Things would be so easy if they are Iím hoping for the best!
 
  #7  
Old 04-14-2019, 10:49 AM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Champion
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,451
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Jmikk View Post
ill send the truck through dmv inspection for vin plates when Iím done. Reason for cab swap is rust, broken windshield, obliterated dash so much so that the vin plate is gone and just overall a goner. Hoping the ctm plugs are the same. We shall find out! Things would be so easy if they are Iím hoping for the best!
More then likely they are, but it's not anything major. You will just lose certain features. Do you have the factory alarm system?
 
  #8  
Old 04-14-2019, 11:18 AM
Jmikk
Jmikk is offline
Professional
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 103
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 View Post
More then likely they are, but it's not anything major. You will just lose certain features. Do you have the factory alarm system?
not that Iím aware of or really concerned with, I lock the doors before I get out and unlock with they key every time. Sure fire way to know itís locked up.
 
  #9  
Old 04-14-2019, 01:35 PM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Champion
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,451
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Jmikk View Post
not that Iím aware of or really concerned with, I lock the doors before I get out and unlock with they key every time. Sure fire way to know itís locked up.
Only reason I ask is if they don't have the same number of plugs, you will just lose some features. Unless you had the alarm system which could mess up the whole vehicle.
 
  #10  
Old 04-14-2019, 01:53 PM
Jmikk
Jmikk is offline
Professional
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 103
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 View Post
Only reason I ask is if they don't have the same number of plugs, you will just lose some features. Unless you had the alarm system which could mess up the whole vehicle.
any idea what I would would possibly lose for features? As honestly as long as the windows, hvac, interior lights, radio the basic switches and other basic functions work if he happy.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Body swap questions


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: