2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stereo systems

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 03:29 AM
vondoom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo systems

I have a '98 dodge ram extended cab, 4x4....I was just wondering what kind of subs i might be able to squeeze under the back seats..There is very limited room back there but i have people saying there are subs/boxes that i can get to go under the back seat..

I have been recommended kicker solo barics....

And this sub box from MTX....

Is there any other setups you guys know of or are currently are using for you truck?

Old 11-19-2005, 04:28 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Stereo systems

ive built many boxes that fit decent size subs under your seats.. and ive also raised the rear seat a bit to fit larger comp size subs .. only thing i didnt like (but the customer is always right) is that when you blow subs downward you need another peice of material to resonate or deflect the waves to take advantage of the power and sound that comes from the subs to bounce off of. like a peice of 1/2 inch plexi, or possible another piece of 3/4 inch MDF (material used to build most common sub boxes) to blow against instead of just the carpet... i did a test run.. one run with and one run without and it was an insane amount of difference.. check out audiobahns line of subs they make a shallow fit sub that has half of the mounting depth (witch is the factor you will be wrestling with the most if you chose to build your box) and still sound really good and can handle an insaine amount of power .. they are considered comp subs...well any audiobahn sub is considerd comp level sub.. (compition) and there isnt anything wrong with the prefabbed boxes... just becarefull b/c they tend to get banged up really bad during shipping witch i had to fix many of them aswell.. and you really cant go wrong with kicker... that mtx box is usually built to mtx sub specs so if you run that kind of box then u should use a mtx sub.. jl audio also makes really good boxes that fit in places youd never think they would and the sound they produce is impecable(sp) just makesure you research alot before you make a purchase...there are countless amount of options out there for trucks like yours.. they even make a box that replaces your center seat on your front bench and fits either a 10 or a 12 .. wich ill be going to next b.c im tired of what i got now... hope this helps!

Old 11-19-2005, 06:42 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

i crammed two infiniti 10's under my bench seat. see how poorly that mtx fits under the seat? found a really nice mdf for 120 at www.hifisoundconnection.com. had to cut and tack on some mdf on the top to fit the coils of the sub, but you can find some shallower subs. i just wanted the infiniti's.

Old 11-20-2005, 04:12 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

I have an amplified "bazooka bass tube" under my back seat. I only have the premium factory setup otherwise - but this sub sounds pretty good with that.

Old 11-21-2005, 01:29 AM
theshocker
Veteran

Hey Racinfan83, What size bass tube do you have?

Old 11-22-2005, 05:06 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

I think they call it a 10" but the tube itsself measures 9" diameter and is 18" long. Mine is mounted under the back seat on the driver side with the speaker end toward the door. It raised the seat a little bit, not much. I got mine at Circuit City and had them install it. It takes a little time to get the equalizer and the front-rear fade set right, but mine sounds really good considering I have the factory in-dash and 6 speaker system. I listen to both Country and Heavy Metal, and the bass will really rattle you if you like. It's not a bad buy for roughly $250 installed.

Old 12-23-2005, 07:47 PM
01BUSTEDDODGE

I have 2 JL 10w0's in mine with a 250 watt JL amp. i know this isn't much but the end result was nice. i think i even have room for the w3's which i am planning on trying soon. i had a problem with the original box i had made. they faced the speakers forward from under the seat and the sound was complete garbage. i got a downward firing box from PROBOX and it improved the performance 100%.. and gave me more room for hopefully a bigger speaker later on.
good luck and keep me posted on what you finally do..

Old 12-23-2005, 11:57 PM
Tani1500
Champion

I made my own boxes and have my amp and 2 10in sonys under the back seat.

Old 12-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Sebesta89

Like they said PROBOX makes a down fire box that fits under the seats. BUT you are limited to the types of subs you can put in them. The downfire box is GREAT its hidden and out of the way, and with a sterio and these punks running around stealing them "Out of sight, Out of mind" I would get the down fire box and I know someone who has it in a extended cab Chevy and it sounds awesome.

Quick Reply: Stereo systems