2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Who's tryed these headers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 09:24 PM
MasonArmstrong
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's tryed these headers?

Alright yall, since im still learnin about mopar motors, maybe yall can help me out. I put long tube headers on 2 of my old fords with 351s. Both really didnt give me any noticeable difference in power. But, ive heard from a couple mopar guys that the magnum motors respond great to headers. So i went on summit racing, like any bored redneck does in his free time, and found these. Has anyone had any experience with these? I like the 3/8 flange thickness, i had thinner ones on my ford and they warped, and these are 1 and 7/8 inch which is pretty good for the money. Has anyone used these in particular? I really want to improve my throttle responce and mid to high range power. Also, is there any better headers out there for a 98 with a 360? I definetly want long tubes tho. Thanks for yalls help.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:10 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Those are the same headers I recently installed on my truck, with the matching off-road Y-pipe. Here is a link to my thread...
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-the-97-a.html

They made a huge difference for my 408, but you will probably notice a little loss on the bottom end of a stock engine.
A better (but much more expensive) option is some tri-y headers. They work better throughout the rpm range rather than concentrating on the top end (long tubes), or the bottom end (shortie's). Just my 2 cents worth at least.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:06 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Headers won't help you with throttle response. For that you want 52mm throttle body (increases throttle sensitivity) and gears (more power due to engine rpms being in the correct range)

Old 04-21-2017, 02:09 AM
MasonArmstrong
Rookie

Originally Posted by beeker
Headers won't help you with throttle response. For that you want 52mm throttle body (increases throttle sensitivity) and gears (more power due to engine rpms being in the correct range)
as for the throttle body, would you recommend a hughes 50mm or the fastman 53mm? These seem like the 2 best options out there.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:19 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

There are still quite a few vendors for these old dogs. The couple you've named are the biggest that I know of. For throttle bodies, and anything else on his page I would recommend Richard at HiPoTec. He also does some custom machine work if you call him (second hand experience, haven't tried it personally). http://stores.hi-potek.com
Hughes treated me good when I bought my stroker kit, but I've read more bad reviews than good so your milage may vary.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:56 AM
MasonArmstrong
Rookie

Originally Posted by frankie_b_jr
There are still quite a few vendors for these old dogs. The couple you've named are the biggest that I know of. For throttle bodies, and anything else on his page I would recommend Richard at HiPoTec. He also does some custom machine work if you call him (second hand experience, haven't tried it personally). http://stores.hi-potek.com
Hughes treated me good when I bought my stroker kit, but I've read more bad reviews than good so your milage may vary.

I like hipoteks products. On there website it says that their 53mm throttle body is for "recommended for highly modified 5.9" now my 360 is basically stock for right now. Should i go with the 52 or 53mm for a mostly stock motor?

Old 04-21-2017, 04:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by MasonArmstrong
I like hipoteks products. On there website it says that their 53mm throttle body is for "recommended for highly modified 5.9" now my 360 is basically stock for right now. Should i go with the 52 or 53mm for a mostly stock motor?
For a mostly stock motor, stick with the 50mm. Else, you lose to much bottom end throttle response.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:50 PM
jsmith1969
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
For a mostly stock motor, stick with the 50mm. Else, you lose to much bottom end throttle response.
I'm running a 52mm on a mostly stock motor(fixed plenum,dr timing chain,shorty headers,Flyin Ryan tune) and didn't lose any low end. When I upgraded to sct tune from superchips I gained some.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:56 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a 52mm and a hughes airgap, great combo. According to my scan gauge I dropped about 4% throttle while cruising after I put the 52mm on.