2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sensors that go bad

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 05:56 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sensors that go bad

I am looking to get some feedback on this topic. I am mostly concerned with sensors malfunctioning that will leave me stranded out on the road. I have had issues with them before on other vehicles, like which ones should I keep in the glovebox. I do keep a code reader in the truck to determine what the issue is if that issue will even send out a code. This is on my '99 Ram V10.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

All of them?

Any of them can fail. Some are more fun to find than others..... Crank sensors seem to be difficult to come by, as are cam sensors. Coil packs are another item that are becoming rare.

Basically, it just depends on how much you wanna spend on 'spare parts' to keep around, just in case.....

Old 05-07-2017, 11:13 AM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought a spare cam and crank sensor to have on hand. The cam sensor is Walker brand and I wanna say the crank sensor was Standard brand (not 100% sure on that). I know there is a lot of discussion about Dodge engines being picky about what brand sensors they have to run proper or even run at all, so I'm wondering how these replacements may even work when being replaced down the road. I'm wondering if anyone has had good luck with any specific off brand or any specific sellers brand. I'm thinking of even swapping out my original sensors now with the replacements I've bought just to see how they perform, and if they work alright, leave them in and hold on to my originals for down the road. If the replacements seem to work, I may even buy another just for good measure. I guess my thinking for doing this is that even if an off brand sensor works ok, how long will it even last?

Old 05-07-2017, 11:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

I would be tempted to do exactly that. Put the aftermarket sensors into a known-good-running engine, and see if anything changes. Keep the OEM parts for spares.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:33 AM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the way you think. I think it's next on my list. I'll let you know what I discover.

Last edited by racefan41; 05-07-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:25 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That sounds like a good way to do it there Racefan. I was mostly concerned with the cam and crank sensors anyway.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:32 PM
vmaxept
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tnx for this one. I have been putting off finding and ordering sensor parts since I bought the truck a year ago

RockAuto - has coils, TPS camshaft-sensor, MAP
So I let go of big $$ - ordered all I could find

Amazon has a CRANKSHAFT sensor
Original Engine Management 96102 Crankshaft Position Sensor

not sure it is the correct one, but the trk/eng lookup shows this is correct.

Thanks for asking made me get it done
R