2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Recently got 95 5.2 Ram, anything to look out for? Nice to be back :D

Old 05-10-2017, 01:07 PM
WhiteSnake91
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Recently got 95 5.2 Ram, anything to look out for? Nice to be back :D

Hello all again :P recently got a cheap 95 5.2 v8 ram regular cab, has the factory 16inch wheels and dumped dual exhaust flowmaster I'm guessing from the sound/look of it, and after getting under it to do the oil/oil filter yesterday it seems like it's had the ball joints done and probably the shocks and rad hoses since the sticker tag is still on several parts, also has the KN CAI on it, no check engine light on and no misfire, idles very smooth at 750rpm never bouncing, odo shows ~224k but you wouldn't think so with how well it sounds and drives, I'm wondering though, is a tuneup only truly needed when it starts to misfire? I'm wondering if new cap,rotor,wires,spark plugs and even new ignition coil might give it more pep when I give it gas.

It's a different style than the 01 v6 I had before, this one has a manual OD button on the dash which I'm not sure is broken or what, tried pressing it but OD didn't light up on the cluster....besides that, and the dash being busted up and needing a radio put in it, really not bad for only 800 it cost :P

I do remember from reading around here from googling before though that many recommended when buying a used 2nd gen to at least do a trans servicing on it, i.e. having the pan dropped and new filter/fluid put in, bands adjusted, and a shop here adjusted the throttle plate for my 01 v6 before, maybe that's what gave it a bit of pep when I pressed the gas.

Maybe I'm just overthinking things, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I did hear many problems with the shift solenoids and things on these gen of trucks, but wouldn't that trigger a CEL code? Mine is OBD1 though. I know many knock the trans on these but I've seen just as many GM vehicles with fried trans to be honest, I do know the big trick to these though is just taking care of them with regular fluid/filter and bands checked about every 3 years I believe?

glad I was able to find the truck in any case....sadly traded my 01 v6 for a 92 firebird 305 v8 which sounds good, but my god the problems that car has given me....no wonder I never ever see any of them on the road anymore, I guess they all died and went to junkyard heaven by now lol...it's amazing what you learn to take for granted, like being able to get in the driver door, a working fuel gauge, odometer and trip meter, and not having stinking choking burning oil smoke coming through the vents, and not having the rev the rpm high as hell just to shift it....I'm pretty much done with that car to say the least lol....the starter on the car went out on me the day I got the truck actually...it's a design flaw, they put the starter too close to the exhaust on those cars and it ends up getting heat soaked.

anyway hello again and thx for any help

Old 05-10-2017, 02:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Wouldn't hurt to have a look at the various tune-up parts, and see what kind of shape they are in... If they look good, leave 'em. Also wouldn't hurt to have a look down the throttle body, see if there is oil in the intake. (plenum issue.)

On the 95, there is nothing in the cluster about O/D, just a lite on the switch comes on, to indicate O/D is disabled. There may, or may not be a trans overtemp lite.... the temp sensor was an option those years. (94-95) You also don't have the electronic governor in your trans, it is purely hydraulic. PCM controls a pair of solenoids for O/D, and TCC. That's the only thing 'electronic' about it.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:04 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 297 Likes on 281 Posts

Check the steel brake lines for rust, especially the one running to the rear around the gas tank - they are famous for rusting in that area and springing a nasty leak. If the lines haven't been changed and you plan to keep the truck awhile, replace them all with stainless steel lines, so you won't have to do that job ever again.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:34 PM
WhiteSnake91
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thx I'll keep that in mind, I had a look at the front brake lines when I was under it having hell getting a stuck old oil filter off and they looked ok, about the same as my 01 3.9 did.

Would a messed up plenum cause it to idle rough? I don't think I've ever had a vehicle idle as smooth as this 95 does to be honest, even my 01 although pretty good, would vary a little up and down from 750 just a hair, a new pcv valve helped it greatly but it was still just a hair above or below at times, but the 95 I have now is rock solid at 750 purring.

Been a little bad weather here, I'll check the intake for oil and plugs soon, the wires all look good. My 01 had this as well, but there's another radiator infront of the actual truck's radiator, I guess that's a trans cooler?

Mine has a gold aftermarket EGR valve put on, after reading a little and remembering my 01 didn't even have one either, I found out 95 was the last year the engines even came with EGR apparently. Not sure why they quit putting them on, but if I ever have a problem I'll probably just block it off if it's easy to do.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Usually, a bad plenum will at the very least give an unstable idle. Wonder if the previous owner addressed it? Or, maybe you just got lucky.

Yep, trans cooler. part of several "heavy duty" packages available on our trucks.

With the advent of OBDII, programming got a LOT more sophisticated, and they didn't need to EGR valve to meet emissions requirements any more. So, 96 and up didn't have 'em.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:16 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you get around to changing the spark plugs then you should rip the spark plug heat shields out and throw them in the trash then hit around the plugs with an air compressor, it'll make life easier.

To check for oil in the intake manifold you need a borescope or a small inspection mirror that'll fit through the throttle body. I was surprised how much oil I could see in mine (puddled in the back) after taking the throttle body off because you can't see much just looking through the butterflies.

Search this Thread