2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rain Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 11:34 PM
schmidtp
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain Battery Drain

Hi All,

Its been a while since have had to ask a question. I have searched and I can't figure this one out. My truck will sit for weeks and be fine, but once we get a good amount of rain my battery dies. It's not a type of distributor problem cause I could jump it in poring rain and it will be fine. I have installed some LEDs on the front, but does anyone understand electrical better than me? How could this drain this fast? I have wired up so many cars and I am stummped.

Thanks,
Patrick

Old 05-12-2017, 07:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Something getting wet, and shorting out? That one is going to be REAL fun to find..... I wish you lots of luck on it.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:50 AM
schmidtp
Veteran

What can short when the car is off? Previous owner had some janky wiring spliced into the trailer lights. Just looking for some advise on where to start

Old 05-12-2017, 09:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

There is still power running all over the place, even when the ignition is off. I think the first thing I would check, is if water gets into the truck when it rains. Is the carpet wet anywhere? Might be able to test that with a garden hose......

Old 05-12-2017, 10:06 AM
schmidtp
Veteran

I can give that a shot. I have not noticed any wet spots in the truck and actually siliconed the 3rd brake light a couple years ago because it wad leaking in. Thanks for the advise, I'll start trouble shooting and report back if I fix it

Old 05-12-2017, 12:31 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to mention the trailer socket, but I thought it has relays that shut off with ignition off. Now I'm thinking maybe it can be that. Check that socket, etc. for dirt and water.