2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Governor solenoid replacement and what else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 07:39 PM
Zgreen91
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Governor solenoid replacement and what else?

Okay, Transmission recently threw a P1757 and a p1740. I know the 1757 is related to the governor solenoid and the P1740 is to do with the tcc lockup or OD solenoid, which i believe there is a TSB related to it. I want to make sure i can tear into the transmission once and stop wasting transmission fluid. The fluid in my transmission is roughly about 6 months old and with only ~2000 miles on it after replacing the trans oil filter earlier this year, so dirty fluid is less likely the cause.

The P1757 came on during my last time driving it with a trailer attached. The trip before that the transmission had over heated (Trans Temp light was on) but i promtly pulled over and let it sit for a good 30 minutes. After the code set, shortly after i got the trans temp light back on. So the fluid is definitely getting hot, and i know i need to stop using it before i fix whats wrong.

So far I know i need to order a new Governor solenoid, deep sump trans oil pan, transmission cooler, trans oil temp gauge.

Should I also order a Sunnax sure cure kit? Seems fairly inexpensive and I do have knowledge in rebuilding transmissions, specifically GM, however this seems like mainly just a valve body upgrade?

And as far as the P1740 code, its came on various times with absolutely no change in driving characteristics or shift feel. Could the sure cure kit fix this?
? And anything else i should order for this transmission? Or what should i do while i have it on the lift with the pan off? Other then adjust the bands. Truck is mainly used to tow a ski boat and a car trailer with various vehicles ontop. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Also, any specific know good brands for the governor solenoid, trans pan, trans cooler, and temp gauge? I dont need everything to be the best of the best, just dont want to accidentally screw up and order a cheap part that will cause me more issues down the road.

2000 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9 (gas) and 46RE 4x4.

Last edited by Zgreen91; 06-05-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Borg warner makes a 'heavy duty' governor solenoid set, comes with the pressure sensor as well. I *think* there are a couple folks on EBay that sell them in complete kits, with the O/D and TCC solenoids as well, for around 200 bucks.

Sure Cure is a good idea. It will firm up shifts, and also will allow the pump to charge to torque converter in park. (hence, you can check fluid level in park, instead of neutral....)

Eliminate the check valve in the cooler line up by the radiator as well. There are several DIY's in the faq section for that. Easiest one is simply removing the line, drill out the check ball, clean the line, and reinstall. This can cause a bit of a delay in initial trans engagement, as the lack of the valve allows fluid to drain out of the torque converter, but, if the trans can charge it in park, I doubt you will notice any delay at all.

Check the plastic accumulator piston as well. They like to break..... There is a spring above one of them that likes to break as well. Check that too.

If you don't already have an aux cooler, install one.

Don't tow in O/D. That'll smoke your trans fairly quickly.

Make REAL sure you get parts for the correct year trans. The governor stuff changed in 2000, and the older stuff is NOT compatible. Gives you some weird behavior.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:13 PM
Zgreen91

I definitely know towing in OD is a huge no-no so that has never been done (since i have owned the truck)

And an aux trans cooler and deep sump pan on in the works for when i order everything else.

Would this kit have most everything i SHOULD replace while its apart?
https://www.globaltransmissionparts....kit-w-2000-up/

Comes with the spring, filter, solenoid, and a few other parts for roughly $200. That combined with the sure cure kit im hoping will restore some life out of the transmission.

And the check valve will also be deleted when i do the aux cooler. Any recommendations for an aftermarket cooler, or will any do?

Old 06-06-2017, 04:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Zgreen91
I definitely know towing in OD is a huge no-no so that has never been done (since i have owned the truck)

And an aux trans cooler and deep sump pan on in the works for when i order everything else.

Would this kit have most everything i SHOULD replace while its apart?
https://www.globaltransmissionparts....kit-w-2000-up/

Comes with the spring, filter, solenoid, and a few other parts for roughly $200. That combined with the sure cure kit im hoping will restore some life out of the transmission.

And the check valve will also be deleted when i do the aux cooler. Any recommendations for an aftermarket cooler, or will any do?
That kit is perfect. And the price is right in line as well.

Just install the biggest, meanest, cooler you can find room for. If you really wanna go whole hog, dbb1 has a temp valve for sale in the classifieds as well. Lets the trans warm up when it's cold, by bypassing the aux cooler.

Another thought would be an external, screw-on filter too. Adds a bit more capacity, and nicely compliments the internal filter. (filters smaller particles too.)

Old 06-06-2017, 05:28 PM
Zgreen91

Awesome thank you. I just know these 46re's have their fair share of issues and really dont feel like replacing/rebuilding the transmission every summer. Just want to do as much preventative maintenance as possible.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, they do have a bad rep, but, if you take care of them, they will last a long time. Mine has over 200K on it.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:17 PM
jmhd1989
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That kit is perfect. And the price is right in line as well.

Just install the biggest, meanest, cooler you can find room for. If you really wanna go whole hog, dbb1 has a temp valve for sale in the classifieds as well. Lets the trans warm up when it's cold, by bypassing the aux cooler.

Another thought would be an external, screw-on filter too. Adds a bit more capacity, and nicely compliments the internal filter. (filters smaller particles too.)
Hey Pal I remembered you gave some input on the Borg Sensor kits so I wen't looking. Does this kit come with everything you mentioned in the 200 buck ebay kit from Borg Warner? Also all of these sensors are the easy ones in the pan correct? Thanks, I am just looking to keep mine alive as long as possible, especially since i will be towing now.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by jmhd1989
Hey Pal I remembered you gave some input on the Borg Sensor kits so I wen't looking. Does this kit come with everything you mentioned in the 200 buck ebay kit from Borg Warner? Also all of these sensors are the easy ones in the pan correct? Thanks, I am just looking to keep mine alive as long as possible, especially since i will be towing now.
Yep. It's even the correct application for your year truck.

"Easy" is a pretty relative term. Some folks drop the valve body to do the O/D, and TCC solenoids, other folks don't. I haven't had to deal with it yet, so, just going by what I have read. While you are in there, adjust the bands as well.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:35 PM
jmhd1989
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yep. It's even the correct application for your year truck.

"Easy" is a pretty relative term. Some folks drop the valve body to do the O/D, and TCC solenoids, other folks don't. I haven't had to deal with it yet, so, just going by what I have read. While you are in there, adjust the bands as well.
Ok so next question would be, are these an upgrade from stock at all? I am not having issues so If they don't differ from a functional stock sensor, I assume there would be no point.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by jmhd1989
Ok so next question would be, are these an upgrade from stock at all? I am not having issues so If they don't differ from a functional stock sensor, I assume there would be no point.
If you aren't having a problem, then I wouldn't mess with it. The governor pressure solenoid is 'better' than stock, but, it is simply more durable, and fault tolerant, it won't make the trans shift any better/harder/faster/more.