2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Check Your Brake Caliper Bolts!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 06:58 PM
Racinfan83
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Your Brake Caliper Bolts!

I had this happen last week, so I thought I'd share it with you guys so it doesn't happen to you. I installed new rotors and pads a couple months ago. Don't know if this had anything to do with the problem, cause I tightened everything up twice - but anyway.

I heard a few funny clanks from under the truck while driving between home, the wife's office, Hardees, etc. before getting on the Interstate to go to work. I planned to check it out the next day. I drove about 15 miles on the highway, got off on the exit, hit the brakes, and the front of the truck started JUMPING OFF THE GROUND! I about crashed it, but was able to get it under control and stopped. I thought maybe the tranny had broken so I put it in Neutral and back in drive and it engaged. I stepped on the gas and there was a loud "bang" from the right front. Tapped the brakes again - more loud noise and jumping. Drove the rest of the way to work with the E-brake. Got to work, looked under the truck and discovered the bottom bolt that attaches the caliper was GONE! This had fallen out on the highway somewhere and had let the caliper rotate up into the wheel - causing my problem. Here's the kicker - - - it is a special bolt you can get only from a Dodge dealer, and only one of them in the STL area had any. $2.12 apiece - It cost me leaving my truck at work overnite, and my wife's car $25 in gas to find one. I got an extra while I was there! The top caliper bolt was loose also, I discovered when I installed the new bolt.

I don't know why this happened, I've never experienced it before. I know I will be checking them every oil change from now on. If this would have happened on a curve on a two lane road or similar, I probably would have crashed. My wheel has a ring around the inside, but appears OK. I don't know why the bolts would take 2 months to loosen up.........or what caused it. I am very **** about double checking everything I work on - so I am positive they were tight. I thought I'd post this as a warning to you all - so you can check yours.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:42 PM
theshocker
Veteran
Default RE: Check Your Brake Caliper Bolts!

Thanks for the heads up. I was gonig to change my oil and do the regular check but I will add that to my list for sure.

Old 11-22-2005, 01:21 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a similar experience with a Mazda Protege of mine. The top bolt someone came off of the caliper and it made for interesting braking. I went to the harware store and found a Grade 8 bolt with a matching thread pitch. Worked like a champ.

Old 11-22-2005, 03:21 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet that was scarry. I bet it is hard to use the e-brake on these trucks since you have to pull that piece to dis engage it. I'm not sure I would be fast enough to hit the brakes then reach down and pull that when driving down the road.

Old 11-22-2005, 06:35 AM
zeekxxx
Captain

Good tip thanks

I have a whole tube of threadlock that Im now going to use when I change mine out.

Old 11-22-2005, 04:45 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

Speaking of threadlock.....I know the factory bolts have some type of threadlock or something on them. I wonder if removing and reinstalling these bolts compromised the locking quality?? I did not use any threadlock, I figured that tightening the crap out of the bolts would be sufficient. I wouldn't know what threadlock would be suitable for use on such a high heat application and still allow you to remove the bolts to change the pads. Any Suggestions?

Old 11-25-2005, 02:19 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Racinfan83

Speaking of threadlock.....I know the factory bolts have some type of threadlock or something on them. I wonder if removing and reinstalling these bolts compromised the locking quality?? I did not use any threadlock, I figured that tightening the crap out of the bolts would be sufficient. I wouldn't know what threadlock would be suitable for use on such a high heat application and still allow you to remove the bolts to change the pads. Any Suggestions?
Yes, removing a bolt compromises the threadlocks capabilities. I would recommend bolts that had threadlock be cleaned with either a wire brush or wire wheels (depending on what you have). When the bolt is returned to service, apply a fresh coat of threadlock.

Old 11-25-2005, 05:43 PM
blasticblazin

same bolt came out on me and dodge had just changed my breaks while i was in for my last warranty covered service, tore up my world cause i was on the way to one of my final exams last year some time =x

Old 11-28-2005, 06:29 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

Guess I wasn't the only one this happened to..........

Quick Reply: Check Your Brake Caliper Bolts!