2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

BDS leaf spring install

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 11:04 PM
Kupisch98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking BDS leaf spring install

Just joined this form really excited to be apart of it.

i have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 and i bought a 5 inch BDS suspension lift, the kit came with a new 5 inch lift spring pack and i was seeing if anybody has pointers on installing this. i have heard the leaf spring bolts themselves are a pain so i bought new bolts just in case i need to cut the old ones off. i noticed a block under the stock springs and was wondering if i even needed those.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:53 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The block is stock.

The one spring bolt, drivers side-forward, is the hard one that some people had to drop the tank to get out. I did not. I worked it back and just let it rest there while I swapped out the spring. Then I just coaxed it back in with my (skinny) fingers and a small screwdriver. If that fails and the bolt drops out of place, try fishing some floss through the hole, tie it onto the threads and pull the bolt back into place.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:40 AM
Kupisch98

Originally Posted by dbbd1
The block is stock.

The one spring bolt, drivers side-forward, is the hard one that some people had to drop the tank to get out. I did not. I worked it back and just let it rest there while I swapped out the spring. Then I just coaxed it back in with my (skinny) fingers and a small screwdriver. If that fails and the bolt drops out of place, try fishing some floss through the hole, tie it onto the threads and pull the bolt back into place.
Okay thanks, so should I not use the stock block?

Old 06-29-2017, 10:43 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker

Unless your new springs include a perch for the bumpstops and the instructions say to NOT use them, you SHOULD use them.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:15 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Unless your new springs include a perch for the bumpstops and the instructions say to NOT use them, you SHOULD use them.
. . . otherwise your 5" lift will turn into a 1" lift.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:32 PM
Kupisch98

I also have a problem the rear leaf spring connections. The new bolts I got from dodge themselve is to long and the end of the bolts hit the frame before the head his the shackle. Would I need to use washers or cut a hole in my frame? Or is there a way I can move the shackles to put the bolt in backwards so the end doesn't hit the frame? Thanks

Old 06-30-2017, 08:19 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker

I'm betting that the new boots are the same length as your old ones. Yes,mother bolt heads should be towards the frame, threaded portion facing out.

How did you remove the old ones?

Old 07-01-2017, 10:36 AM
Kupisch98

I'm betting that the new boots are the same length as your old ones. Yes,mother bolt heads should be towards the frame, threaded portion facing out.

How did you remove the old ones?
I had to cut the other ones out. But how will I be able to tighten the bolts down if the heads are like 1in away from the frame? They aren't normal bolts the have the torx pattern. So I will need a torx socket to fit on my impact but there is no way I can fit a socket to go on to the bolt head that is 1in away from the frame.