2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bug Deflectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 11:47 PM
Dodgeramman
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bug Deflectors

Anybody here have anything good to say about Bug Deflectors? I was given one by my parts guy after he ordered the wrong shocks (good thing I looked at both sets before I put them on). Anyway it is a three piece, is it worth putting on or not?

Old 11-22-2005, 05:27 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: Bug Deflectors

My truck had the center one on when I bought it. The two over the headlights had been ripped off. The glue is still there, and after nine months of owning the truck I still haven't been able to get it all off. [:@]

Personally, I don't think they're worth it. They don't seem to stop very many bugs. And they create added wind noise. If the center guard wasn't glued to the grille, I'd rip it off. I'm just going to buy a new grille in the spring and throw this one out.

Old 11-22-2005, 06:11 AM
zeekxxx
Captain

I have one on my ram. Came with it. I noticed it is chipped up as all hell. Alot of rocks hit it. My hood only has a few chips on it. With out the bug gaurd all the rocks would have hit the hood. I think they are a great idea if your **** like me and dont want to have a torn up hood. Some times it misses bugs if they fly across the road at an angle. When I drive through the snow you can see the wind flow over the bug gaurd. It does force it up at an angle. I guess the answer to this question is a matter of style. Some people think they are ugly some like them. I am leaving mine on. If its free I would stick it on and try it.

Mine is stuck on with super sticky double stick tape. Hard to get off. You can remove it if you get out there with a hair drier and warm up the edge and pull up. Work your way slowly towards the other end of the truck heating the tape and pulling up on the bug gaurd. They pop right off.

Thats my input

goodluck

Old 11-22-2005, 12:13 PM
BigLox

Consider a 3m clearbra instead. Those rock...

Old 11-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Dodgeramman
Record Breaker

It's a Lund so I'll giver a try, not like I'ld be out anything. With these Buffalo winters it might help keep the windshield a little cleaner(I hate salt). As for the Bra we don't wear them around here HA !!

Old 11-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an AVS 3 peice bug shield. I think it does an ok job of deflecting bugs and stuff, but I wonder what type of loss to mpg it might be causing. I also am concerned that I might have to buy a new crome grill if I ever decide to remove the bug sheild, it is stuck on my current grill really good. I only installed the center peice. I have always thought the other two that go over the head lights look like eyebrows.

Old 11-22-2005, 06:10 PM
dodgekid
Professional

LMAO. They look like eyebrows. Yea, they do. I am not sure how much it is affecting MPG, but I don't know how well it does do its job. I have no bug deflector, but bugs always catch on my front plate and bumper, and surprisingly never higher than the lower grille.

Old 11-27-2005, 11:54 PM
llama_79

I have the three piece bug deflector from Lund. I like it, it came with the truck, otherwise I probably wouldn't have put it on. I looked behind the one on the grill and the paint is a lil messed up. The bug deflector covers it up. It also looks well with the window vent things that came with my truck too.

Quick Reply: Bug Deflectors