2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

alright...I need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005 | 03:09 AM
01ramclassic
|
All Star
Default alright...I need some advice

Ok, I've decided to keep my truck cause I've done invested too much to let it go and I just can't seem to let go of ol'blackie. Now that I've decided to keep the truck I want to get a crate engine by the first of the year. I don't want to get to extreme but I definatly want something hot for around 4k. I have been looking around to see what I can find and haven't come up with anything that seems really promising. I talked to Dan "the fastman" today and he doesn't really build the types of engines I want. He builts them for the race applications and I want one for everyday driving. I have looked at some on mopartsracing.com and Dan told me the best thing to do was to get a 360 short block for 1500 and just order everything else seperatly, but I don't really want to hassle with that cause I'm afraid I'll get screwed money wise. I have found one on ebay that I have been looking really hard at. Here is the link.417hp 360
Something like this is excatially what I'm looking for and its in my price range. Do yall think that it is legit or great? He has dyno sheets for it and it come with a warrenty I believe. Or does someone know where I could get a better engine? I really need some advice on this. I don't know wether to rebuild my block or just order a new crate. My engine is still strong but I don't want to add a lot of accessories to a engine with 95k on it. I want a fresh start if you know what I mean. -Tyler

Old 11-22-2005 | 03:10 AM
01ramclassic
|
All Star
Default RE: alright...I need some advice

Steve, whats your opinion?

Old 11-22-2005 | 03:25 AM
01ramclassic
|
All Star

Here are some specs...
417 horsepower @ 5,500rpm
426 lbs/ft/of torque @ 4,500rpm
Stock Computer Compatible
Dyno spec sheet included
This engine comes completely assembled with a balanced rotating assembly .The balance rotating assembly includes,crankshaft,pistons,rings,connecting rods,rod bearings,balancer.
417 HP at 5,500 rpm 426 lbs/ft./torque at 4,500 rpm
360 (4.00 bore X 3.578 stroke)9.0:1 compression ratio
MPI intake manifold
New Mopar magnum aluminum valve covers
New Speed Pro flat top pistons.
New Comp Cam hydraulic roller
New hardended push rods
New Sealed Power rings
New Sealed Power high volume oil pump
New one piece design molded rubber oil pan gasket
New brass expansion plugs
New ARP connecting rod bolt
HEADS:resurfaced on mill & pressure tested.(60.6cc,1.925 in.1.625 exh.)
Heads: Ported and Polished
New stainless steel swirl polished one piece valves, guides,hardened exhaust seats,springs, retainers, valve locks
Hand picked seasoned 360 block bored. Squared & parallel decked. Cylinders plateau honed to within .0002 straightness & roundness. cylinders are sonic tested for thickness
Each & every part is individually painted OEM colors prior to assembly

Old 11-22-2005 | 01:00 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: 01ramclassic

Steve, whats your opinion?
www.krcperformance.com... check out their motors, for 4k, you can get a 408 stroker (they are on sale right now)

quote from their on-line store...
"This kit is designed to work with stock manifolds, stock intakes, stock throttle bodies and stock PCM's for the best in towing and stump pulling torque! Fully assembled, machined, balanced and ready to bolt in. The assembly includes the block, flexplate,cast 4" crankshaft, forged Magnum rods, Ross Lightweight pistons, balancer, cam, rod and main bearings, freeze plugs and file fit Sealed Power rings.

ON SALE UNTIL DEC. 1st Get them while they're hot! Regular Price: $4,299.00"

Sale price is $3999...

this would be an excellent foundation for a killer motor...

Old 11-22-2005 | 01:05 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ok, check that... that motor sounds good, the only drawback is the heads... stockers modded...

maybe the thing to do is contact him and see how much he'd build a block for you with your heads and have the r/t's shipped to him. the $3399 starting bid isnt bad at all... but then again on the otherhand, you should be able to get the same thing built from a local shop at a reasonable price...

Old 11-22-2005 | 05:53 PM
dodgekid
Professional

hey buddy. I got bored and I was looking around at crate engines on Mopars site. I found a 426 Street Hemi crate motor with 465 HP nad 486 FT/LB of torque. Good hunting man.

Old 11-22-2005 | 06:14 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

i was just looking at the pics for that 417hp crate and was thinking.. ignition... kinda hard to run an engine without the ignition. that might run the bill up if it isn't already on there. i didn't see anything in the rest of his description of the motor. just something i'm sure you already thought of.

I AM CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!!!

Old 11-22-2005 | 06:15 PM
dodgekid
Professional

yes you are Caption Obvious.

Old 11-23-2005 | 05:25 AM
01ramclassic
|
All Star

I will probably upgrade to MSD ignition instead of using my stock ignition, but I already have everything I need cause its going in a truck that already has a 360. I'll probably have to get a flash program for the pcm but for everything else it just gonna bolt right on like the old one, except for the obvious mods that will be needed. -Tyler

Quick Reply: alright...I need some advice