2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Straight-thru muffler needed with offroad Y-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 04:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Green 360
dapepper9 -Great video. David Vizard wrote the book on exhaust design science and if you read his work, you'll know even more about exhaust science than the guys in that video. I wrote a brief comparison of straight-through vs baffle-chamber mufflers a couple days ago on the "Thinking about getting flowmaster 10 muffler" thread.

97ramrod1500 -I was impressed with the quality of JEGS' stainless offroad Y. It bolted right up to my Pacesetter shorties (which are supposed to bolt right up to the stock catted y-pipe), so it should bolt up to the stock manifold just fine. The only issue is that it is a little short on the downstream end. It just barely slides into the female end of the downstream exhaust pipe. I'd like it to be about 3/4" longer.

Both -On a stock or mildly modified 2nd gen gasser, you're right, muffler choice isn't going to make a big difference in power. If you don't get rid of the multiple other choke points in the stock exhaust, you'd be lucky to make an additional 2% power from a straight through muffler over a baffle chamber (which on a 245 HP 5.9 is about 4.9 HP). However, if you do get rid of all the other choke points in the exhaust, the muffler itself may yield an additional 5% which is only 12 HP, but you'd also gain a little horsepower from removal of each of the other choke points -for example, switching from stock manifolds to 1.5" pacesetter shorties on a stock engine are good for 36 lb.ft @ 2100 rpm and 25 HP @ 4400 rpm. It all adds up. So on a stock engine with stock exhaust, muffler choice won't make a real difference. On a heavily modified engine like mine, which should have around 475 HP and 550 lb./ft. torque, and with an exhaust system that has had all the choke points removed, muffler choice can make a very big difference.

But I wasn't trying to figure out what is going to work the best when I started this thread. I was trying to figure out if a straight-through muffler with a catless y-pipe and headers on a high compression engine is going to be pleasantly loud or if everyone else on the road is going to hate me, lol!
They'll hate you anyway, since you drive a cool truck.

Couldn't tell ya how loud it is going to be though, somewhere between rumble, and obnoxious. Only way to tell for sure is to try it, and see how you like it.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:01 PM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dapepper9 -Great video. David Vizard wrote the book on exhaust design science and if you read his work, you'll know even more about exhaust science than the guys in that video. I wrote a brief comparison of straight-through vs baffle-chamber mufflers a couple days ago on the "Thinking about getting flowmaster 10 muffler" thread.

Both -On a stock or mildly modified 2nd gen gasser, you're right, muffler choice isn't going to make a big difference in power. If you don't get rid of the multiple other choke points in the stock exhaust, you'd be lucky to make an additional 2% power from a straight through muffler over a baffle chamber (which on a 245 HP 5.9 is about 4.9 HP). However, if you do get rid of all the other choke points in the exhaust, the muffler itself may yield an additional 5% which is only 12 HP, but you'd also gain a little horsepower from removal of each of the other choke points -for example, switching from stock manifolds to 1.5" pacesetter shorties on a stock engine are good for 36 lb.ft @ 2100 rpm and 25 HP @ 4400 rpm. It all adds up. So on a stock engine with stock exhaust, muffler choice won't make a real difference. On a heavily modified engine like mine, which should have around 475 HP and 550 lb./ft. torque, and with an exhaust system that has had all the choke points removed, muffler choice can make a very big difference.

But I wasn't trying to figure out what is going to work the best when I started this thread. I was trying to figure out if a straight-through muffler with a catless y-pipe and headers on a high compression engine is going to be pleasantly loud or if everyone else on the road is going to hate me, lol!
Yeah I'm a little familiar. Haven't read all of his work but I have a little but I've done research elsewhere as well. I was just using it as an example to show that even restrictive mufflers don't have any NOTICEABLE effect as far as overall power from the driver seat. Can modify the power band a tad but peak numbers change very little if at all. Go for sound lol that's what I always suggest.
If you want an idea of a straight through muffler, this video is my truck on the dyno with longtubes, hollow cat and 5x8x18 Magnaflow. New trans I went to a straight through Carven TR (LOUD AF) but this is before.I also have other videos of my various setups. Ignore the oil smoke; had a plugged PCV

Last edited by dapepper9; 07-19-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:06 PM
Big Green 360
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome. Which one is yours in the video, the green or the yellow Ram?

Old 07-19-2017, 10:40 PM
dapepper9
Veteran

Awesome. Which one is yours in the video, the green or the yellow Ram?
Green. Made 222/299 with everything engine wise below (only difference was muffler) on 3.55s for those 285s. I now have 4.56s lol. Numbers for yellow truck which was very similarly setup though not quite as much were 255/323. 52mm throttle body, airgap manifold, longtubes and 3" single no cat exhaust, e-fan and Superchips on 275/55/20 tires/wheels with 3.92 gears. If I had gearing at that time or smaller tires I would've likely been in the 260-270 range.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:41 AM
Big Green 360
Rookie

That's it! That's the sound I want.

Every good ol' boy's pickup I've ever heard -with their Flowmasters or Cherry Bombs (and usually still running some stock components like manifolds and/or their cat) sounds like something between a tugboat and a tractor. Loud, but decidedly unsexy.

Your truck does not sound like a tugboat. To my ear, it sounds more like a BMW V8 with a street/strip exhaust. Well done!

Last edited by Big Green 360; 07-20-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:22 AM
dapepper9
Veteran

That's it! That's the sound I want.

Every good ol' boy's pickup I've ever heard -with their Flowmasters or Cherry Bombs (and usually still running some stock components like manifolds and/or their cat) sounds like something between a tugboat and a tractor. Loud, but decidedly unsexy.

Your truck does not sound like a tugboat. To my ear, it sounds more like a BMW V8 with a street/strip exhaust. Well done!
check out my various other setups ive had. You can find em through my channel there. Had a little but of about everything and not everything has a video lol.

this one is my personal favorite:
https://youtu.be/2dMKjh8SzZ4
really quite loudand aggressive but at that same time very clean. I went 5 years without torque converter lockup and 70highway miles everyday the noise was too much. That's when i went to that 18" magnaflow. Initially installed a cat as well but it kind of dogged it down a bit and was too quiet. Hollowed the cat and was happy with that for awhile. Then got the MegaViper and billet converter in and it was again too quiet. I don't like drone but i do wanna hear myself a little bit. Went back to the CarvenTR in this video but it's slightly different. Previously i had a side exit and no cat whereas now i have a full tailpipe and hollow cat. Cackles bad at low rpm load. Accelerating with a trailer or in a higher gear without downshifting. Hammer down and it's sex lol

Old 11-14-2017, 02:12 PM
Big Green 360
Rookie

Been busy for a while so I'm updating several threads at once. I started driving my truck with the new high compression engine, headers, off-road y-pipe (cat delete), and stock muffler. Drove it about 50 miles. It was a definitely louder than stock but not "aftermarket exhaust loud". It didn't sound bad, but it didn't really sound good, either -exhaust note was way higher-pitched than I expected for such a big engine, the exhaust pulses "popped", it droned at 2000 rpm, and it was about the same volume whether at idle or hard acceleration. Also, the truck bogged down between 1000 and 1800 rpm when I accelerated, but I thought this was due to tuning until I swapped the muffler.

I had the Borla 40065 welded on and WOW! It now sounds really, really good. The exhaust note is very deep and throaty, but smooth -no rasp at all. All the high-pitched pop is gone. No drone at any rpm, super quiet at idle and low rpm, but when I get on it, everyone within a half mile knows it. Holy smokes this thing is loud under hard acceleration! Sounds a lot sexier (and a lot meaner) than flowmasters. Also, the bogging between 1000 and 1800 rpm is gone and it actually pulls noticeably harder throughout the rpm range. I LOOOOOOOVE this muffler.

Last edited by Big Green 360; 11-14-2017 at 02:16 PM.