2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98&1/2 Rm 2500 Disc brakes

Old 07-19-2017, 11:34 PM
saddlesore
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98&1/2 Rm 2500 Disc brakes

New member here.

Does any one know of a good video for replacing the brake pads on 1998 &1/2, 2500 Ram? I'm tired of shops screwing them up.

Next question. This truck has the load distribution brake mechanism on the rear axle that changes the braking force between the front brakes and the rear brakes. However with the 7500 pound capacity springs, it takes a heck of a load for the springs to squat and my rear brakes are always grabbing. That valve is no longer made. I tried disconnecting it and wiring it up in min and max positions , but it didn't help. Is there a fix?

Last question. The ABS does not work anymore, nor does the dash light come on saying it is not functioning. Would that be the sensors?

Could all this be tied up in one problem?

I'll be out of town until next Monday before I can get back to any responses.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by saddlesore; 07-19-2017 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

If you are just changing pads, it's a cake job. Couple bolts to pull the caliper, a clamp to compress the piston, install new pads, put caliper back on.

If you want to replace the rotors, or get them turned, it gets a bit more interesting... as I do beleive the rotors are staked on from the backside of the hub, therefore, hub needs to come off to do anything with them.

So, questions become: 2 or 4 wheel drive? 2 or 4 wheel ABS?

Dodge did away with the variable proportioning valve on the rear brakes. It simply didn't work the way it should. Ever.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:08 PM
saddlesore

Sorry about getting back to this. Trip went way longer than expected.
This is a 4WD,ABS. Shoes/hub on rear wheels, disc on front.

I have tried about every thing with the load proportional valve. Disconnect, tie up high, then tie down low.No difference .Brakes on this truck have always been a night mare. Even while still in warranty the dealer screwed around ,until it was out of warranty and then would not do anything.At first, it always dived to the left when the brakes were applied.That turned out to be the calipers hung up. I have read discussions of removing the proportional valve,but did not understand them.

After the last brake job the shop said the ABS was working,but it hasn't since then. The idiot light on the dash doesn't come on to show it isn't working

Old 07-31-2017, 09:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

The rear wheel abs on these trucks always sucked as well.

Just bypass the variable valve. If you haven't replace the rear brake line yet, due to rust, do it now..... and run from the front, all the way to the soft line to the rear axle. Ignore that valve, just remove it.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:35 PM
saddlesore

OK thanks

Old 08-01-2017, 01:06 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

Interesting. I'll keep this information in mind when I finally install my disc brake Dana 60 rear under my '96 Ram 2500 4x4. My rear drum brake Dana 60 rear's brakes works fine, so I plan to just swap the rears and see how the rear disc brakes do.

Search this Thread