2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Smoke and oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 06:33 PM
Shannon Marie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke and oil

Any ideas are helpfull, was driving my 95 dodge ram and it began smoking behind me, went about a mile n turned around n came home, after getting out there was oil All over the ground under it, what looks like the back of the motor, thing main rear seal.. truck still runs good tho, and there is still oil on the stick, way more than i figured would be on it, so is it the seal possibly? And if so is that hard to replace? Thanks for any suggestions

Old 07-23-2017, 06:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Need to figure out if it is oil, or trans fluid, or something else entirely. Hows the fluid in the trans look? (need to check fluid in neutral. Checking in park will give you an artificially high reading.)

Welcome to DF! Moving this to second gen ram section for ya.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:55 PM
Shannon Marie

Tyvm wasnt sure where to ask, yes it is motor oil, the tranny fluid is good and it looked like about a quart, maybe 3/4 of a quart was on ground... looking around once it dried a lil n cooled, dont really look like oil leaking anywhere but the rear seal, could it have maybe had a hose clogged and blew out of the rear seal? Just trbl shooting possibilities ty for ur time

Old 07-23-2017, 07:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

No hoses that carry oil, and oil shouldn't be pressurized by the rear main.

Try running the engine a bit, and see if anything obvious presents itself. Also, open the hood, take off the oil fill cap, with the engine running, and put your hand over it, you should feel just a bit of suction.

Reasoning here is: Oil filter is right in that neck of the woods as well.... but, I wonder if the pcv system isn't working, and the crankcase is getting pressurized, and that would certainly blow out the seal.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:29 PM
Shannon Marie

If i feel suction does that mean pcv Is working? Nm i reread that and the answer was there, will try after rain stops tyvvvm

Old 07-23-2017, 07:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, we got some good rain today as well.... while I was trying to work on the wifes van.....