2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 Ram 1500 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017 | 10:01 PM
Joseph F. Carney III
|
Default 1998 Ram 1500 4WD

I have a Dodge ram 1500 4wd 5.9 engine, runs amazing, but on hot days if i stop for a minute, then try to restart there is nothing, guages are working but the vehicle won't crank at all, let it sit for a while 10minutes to last time 30 minutes and it cranks right up and runs fine. Any Ideas out there ?

Old 07-27-2017 | 10:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's going to be either the starter relay, (easy to change, it's in the PDC, just swap it with the horn relay to test it....) or, the solenoid on the starter..... Could try rapping on it with a hammer a couple times, and see if that gets it's attention.... Or, just replace the starter..... Its relatively easy to get to, and you don't even need to jack up the truck.

Welcome to DF!

Old 07-29-2017 | 02:41 PM
Joseph F. Carney III
|
Default Hey You...

Hello, and Thanks, thats the first straight forward answer i have had yet ! She is an older truck but runs so amazing, i am going to rebuild the engine soon, as she has 320,000 miles, and still can pass anyone on the road, so i owe the truck that...this issue is so random it was driving me nuts, i thought maybe a sensor...Oil ? because its only when its hot outside the truck never runs hot, almost too cool, and it always starts on the initial crank, i was dumbfounded...anyway I will try your ideas and let you know how it goes..I did get a coil suggestion and a oil sensor any chance these may be it ??

anyway Thanks So Much for your response.

Old 07-29-2017 | 03:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Oil pressure sensor has nothing at all to do with it.

If it only happens hot, I would look real hard at the solenoid......

Old 07-31-2017 | 11:02 AM
Joseph F. Carney III
|
Default Thanks !!

Thanks,
Hey You, I will follow up as i get the answers..So appreciate your help.