2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram Sport 1500 5.9 jerks randomly at speeds 45+

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 05:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Green 360
A "jerk/bucking/hiccup" sounds like a misfire. Especially in light of your fuel pump coming on twice (as though it pressurizes the system, immediately loses pressure, and has to the re-pressurize the system), I'd get a fuel pressure gauge from the rent-a-tool program at O'Reilly or Autozone and see if you're losing fuel pressure or if it is even in the proper range at all.
On our trucks, the PCM really couldn't care less about fuel pressure. Mainly because, it simply doesn't know what it is. There is no sensor for the PCM to monitor it. (which would be REALLY nice....... newer trucks do it......) If the pump is cycling twice per key turn, that implies the PCM thinks you are turning the key twice...... so, somewhere in there, it's possible the PCM is losing power for a second, which makes it believe you turned the key off, then on again.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:28 AM
rtyler8140
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever check the plenum? Mine was doing a similar thing. I rebuilt the tranny, did a tune up, finally pulled the intake and the plenum is blown. I will know if a few days if that cured the issue.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:51 PM
mgibson2074

Originally Posted by rtyler8140
Did you ever check the plenum? Mine was doing a similar thing. I rebuilt the tranny, did a tune up, finally pulled the intake and the plenum is blown. I will know if a few days if that cured the issue.
Did this help with your issue?

Old 08-02-2018, 10:53 PM
mgibson2074

Originally Posted by Ramman18
I'm assuming you have an automatic and torque converters lock in around that mph, right? So it could be related to that, or something that's affected by it like driveshaft u-joints, etc. Does not sound like engine. Maybe someone who has a magic box can chime in. I just happen to be up early to move.
Checked all my u-joints and had zero slop in any of them. I’ll be doing plugs, wires, distributor, and coil. Going to throw on a CAI for fun and while I’m in there I’ll check the throttle body. Throwing those parts on first and regardless I’ll do the plenum intake and probably head gaskets and ****. Just regular maintenance...****s expensive though...but I love my truck

Old 08-03-2018, 11:12 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Actually, these trucks are very cheap to maintain or repair when compared to modern rigs or especially diesels. Forget the CAI as it really doesn't help much. The stock intake is already "cold" pulling from the fender. If you want a negligible change, you can get a KN drop in filter (little better) or a smooth tube from the fender. The Fastman TB helped some also. Get OEM coil if you must but I'm still on the stocker at 20 years and 241k. Avoid aftermarket coils. Too many stories of them leaving people stranded. Why head gaskets? Are they bad?

Old 08-03-2018, 10:43 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Actually, these trucks are very cheap to maintain or repair when compared to modern rigs or especially diesels. Forget the CAI as it really doesn't help much. The stock intake is already "cold" pulling from the fender. If you want a negligible change, you can get a KN drop in filter (little better) or a smooth tube from the fender. The Fastman TB helped some also. Get OEM coil if you must but I'm still on the stocker at 20 years and 241k. Avoid aftermarket coils. Too many stories of them leaving people stranded. Why head gaskets? Are they bad?
I always wanted to do MSD ignition box and booster coil, but +1 on the stock coil 170,XXX here and still the factory one.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:58 PM
rtyler8140
Amateur

Originally Posted by mgibson2074

Did this help with your issue?
It definitely helped, but I still have something going on. Starting to wonder if it is something non engine related at this point. I swapped the MAP sensor with one that I know was working in my Cherokee. Doesn't seem to be jerking, but more of a vibration at this point.