2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC intermittent issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 10:11 PM
chevelle68
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC intermittent issue

2001, 1500. AC Recent issues.

Issue 1. sometimes it stops blowing cold, blows warm or hot air. It does not go away so I simply turn it off, wait a few seconds and turn it back on and it starts cooling normal again.

2. also intermittently, it stops blowing air period, nothing out of the vents, it is temporary so i leave it on and on its own it starts blowing cold again after 7-15 second.

I don't really drive it all that much but would still like to fix the problem. I kind of suspect the AC/heater controller but what do you think? thanks

Old 08-03-2017, 09:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Possibly temp (blend) door is flopping loose on the connector to the little stepper motor that runs it.

Also, when it 'stops blowing', are you sure it isn't simply switching to the defrost vents?

Old 08-03-2017, 12:49 PM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the AC clutch still engaged and turning when the problem occurs?

Old 08-03-2017, 04:32 PM
chevelle68
Rookie

Originally Posted by beeker
Is the AC clutch still engaged and turning when the problem occurs?
those are good questions, beeker and hey you, will look into them and reply back.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:04 PM
chevelle68
Rookie

ok, the no blowing through the front vents happened this afternoon for about 4-5 seconds. i was able to put my hand on the defrost vent and i did feel cold air there. the blend door actuator was replaced some 7 years ago and it appears to be working normally otherwise -unless it is causing this issue.

as far as the other issue, where it all of a sudden blows warm/hot air it has not happened again yet. the above issue is the more intermittent one.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

First problem is "Wild Vents". There is a fix for that in the DIY section. (basically, replace a couple of vacuum check valves.)

When the actuator was replaced, did they also replace the coupler? Is it still plastic? I would be real tempted to at least pull it, and inspect it.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:51 PM
chevelle68
Rookie

Finally got around to checking under the hood. The lower vacuum hose that goes into the firewall was not connected. Took a piece of rubber hose to connect firewall hose to the other end that was just hanging there. Went on ahead and tested both check valves while there and both were still good. Sadly, i have relegated the vehicle to a back up vehicle but it is still in great shape, everything works. As always thanks for the help.