2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil Fouled Spark Plug - Cylinder 8 - 5.9L

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 01:53 PM
RVA SS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Fouled Spark Plug - Cylinder 8 - 5.9L

Fellas, I got a misfire code and pulled the faulty cylinder's plug. I pulled cylinder 2 to compare and below is the result comparing 8 vs. 2. Pretty nasty and the electrode is clearly evident of oil fouling and I plan on diving into a compression test to determine if it's rings or valve related. Or could it be something else?

I was curious about the browning on the ceramic insulator, I did some research and I guess there can be a compression leak on the plug and the browning is coming from escaping gasses from the cylinder. Any thoughts? Not too concerned on this but curious...

Old 08-03-2017, 02:04 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts
Old 08-03-2017, 02:46 PM
RVA SS

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Thanks! Aside from the oil consumption I don't feel like the other symptoms apply... but if its been bad for a while I might be conditioned to poor performance.

Also, the tech article mentions a carbon fouled plug and my plug isn't exactly carbon fouled. I did have a CEL a while ago for o2 sensors and I cleared it and it never came back...

Not dismissing the plenum but maybe this is the start or the consequences starting to show. I've got 128k miles...

Old 08-03-2017, 03:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,380 Likes on 3,120 Posts

Wouldn't hurt to have a look.

Do you get any blue smoke at startup?

Old 08-03-2017, 04:06 PM
RVA SS

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Wouldn't hurt to have a look.

Do you get any blue smoke at startup?
No blue smoke, given how easy it is to test the plenum I might as well take a look. I actually hope it is the plenum, I'd much rather spend the $160 for the Hughes Plenum kit (or even splurge for the Air Gap intake) opposed to worrying about heads or rings...

Old 08-04-2017, 05:52 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 385 Likes on 346 Posts

Replace the plugs and torque properly with a torque wrench. Try not to pull it out again, unless something goes wrong, or you're at the next replacement interval. Worry about it only if the problem returns.

Looking at the crush ring, it looks less compressed than the other plug.