2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I need help diagnosing a wierd stalling engine issue.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 01:29 PM
Turrens
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help diagnosing a wierd stalling engine issue.

So, I've got an issue that's got me stumped. my 2001 DODGE RAM 1500 is stalling out while driving, but it's not showing any obd2 codes, or warning lights on the dash.

It stalls only while the engine is at low RPM, and mostly only when I apply the brakes at about 600 rpm. Sometimes the engine stalls when I shift it into drive from parked. It runs fine as long as I don't stop, but as soon as I hit a stop sign or light, or even just a long turn, engine dies on me.

I thought it was a battery connection, so i cleaned the contacts and replaced the terminal clamps( whatever those things that go on the wires are). but that didn't change anything. It's also jerking a lot when shifting gears, I checked the trans fluid, and it was low and charcoal black, so I added 4 qts or fresh and now the jerking is a lot less, but still there, and the fluid is reading overfull and is a chocolate milk black now.

I'm not sure what to even check at this point. I'd love advice, ideas's(prayers)... lol whatever help you can give.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Do another fluid/filter change on the trans. Drive it a bit, do it again. Keep doing that until the fluid is pretty clean. (real chance that at some point the trans will simply stop working...... given how bad the fluid is. So, keep that in mind too.)

For the stalling, pull the throttle body off the intake, remove the IAC valve on the back, and then thoroughly clean everything. (leave the battery disconnected during this exercise.) When you have it all put back together, for the first startup, turn the key to "on" (not start), count to 10, THEN start the engine. It should figure out idle fairly quickly.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:17 PM
Turrens

well, I took it all apart and cleaned it, and it was dirty, but the problem remains. and I figure I managed to put a throttle cable on wrong since the gas pedal now is not depresing all the way, and the truck wont get over about 45... so I'll have to check that...

I'm lost on whats next. its still stalling at stops.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Any codes?

Pull the plug for the IAC valve. (it's on the back of the throttle body, four wire connector.) With the ignition on, you should show 12 volts on two of the wires. Are you getting it?

Old 08-17-2017, 06:26 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Might be time for a new iac.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:35 PM
Turrens

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Any codes?

Pull the plug for the IAC valve. (it's on the back of the throttle body, four wire connector.) With the ignition on, you should show 12 volts on two of the wires. Are you getting it?

Still no codes, my volt meter died onme, I'm picking up a new one today.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:21 PM
Turrens

Any codes?

Ok, so I'm getting 13v on two wires, and I replaced the IAC and the throttle body gasket, and the problem is worse not better, It's stalling more often, and is very difficult to get it to stay running in idle.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:16 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Tps, IAC, ignition coil, and fuel and spark are the only things that could cause it to stall without any codes

Old 08-18-2017, 10:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Try this.

Disconnect the battery.
Turn on the headlights.
Count to ten.
Turn off the headlights.
Hook battery back up.
Turn ignition to "On". (not start)
Count to ten. Don't touch ANYTHING.
Crank the engine.
It *should* start, idle up to about 1500 RPM, then slowly come down. Just let it do it's thing. If it stalls, just start it back up. If it still stalls, hold engine at 1500 RPM for a minute or three, and slowly come off the gas. See if it will idle.

If you have an aftermarket IAC in there, that is probably part of the problem. I had one in my truck, (standard motor products) that was really random if it would actually idle or not. Put a mopar unit back in there, and the problem went away completely.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:28 PM
Turrens

Try this.

Disconnect the battery.
Turn on the headlights.
Count to ten.
Turn off the headlights.
Hook battery back up.
Turn ignition to "On". (not start)
Count to ten. Don't touch ANYTHING.
Crank the engine.
It *should* start, idle up to about 1500 RPM, then slowly come down. Just let it do it's thing. If it stalls, just start it back up. If it still stalls, hold engine at 1500 RPM for a minute or three, and slowly come off the gas. See if it will idle.

If you have an aftermarket IAC in there, that is probably part of the problem. I had one in my truck, (standard motor products) that was really random if it would actually idle or not. Put a mopar unit back in there, and the problem went away completely.
well, I tried that, and it only idled up to about 600rpm, so I tried the 1500 rev up, and it swung back and forth between 1200-1600 with no change in the gas pedal.

Now, It will stall the second I put it into drive, but it will drive in reverse ok. I'm lost on what to do next? Put the old IAC back in? I'm really boned here if I can't get it to stay running in drive, I can't go to work in reverse. lol...

Last edited by Turrens; 08-19-2017 at 02:47 PM.