2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 Ram 1500 5.9L 4WD Stalling Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 05:36 PM
MNwild32
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Ram 1500 5.9L 4WD Stalling Issues?

Alright guys I'm new to the forum, but anywho, like the title says, there was a time where the truck was stalling a few months ago at idle, so I replaced the IAC and haven't had issues since. I changed out the radiator and replaced the coolant a week prior to this not sure if that is related at all, but a few days ago I was driving on the freeway doing about 70 (truck was running at optimal temperature), with my foot a little in the gas, and the truck began stalling and just about died but I slammed the gas pedal down to the floor and it came back to life. It drove fine for another 10 minutes, and then when going at a relatively steep incline on an exit ramp onto another freeway, it started stalling again and I did pump the gas again, the engine roughly stayed on for a few more seconds before ultimately stalling where I had to pull off on the side of the road (note I didn't lose any power to the cab during all of this). At this point kept trying to start the truck unsuccessfully a few times for a few minutes while pumping the gas pedal while doing so. After a few times, the last time it didn't start up a check engine light and a check gauges light came on but obviously wasn't able to read a code on the spot. I tried starting it up again and it did start up normally and I've been driving it without another stalling issue since. However I may be overthinking this, but the engine seems to be running slightly rough where it sounds like there is a slight whining when revved, and the crawl speed and general truck seems to be a little slow/less powerful than normal. Any leads or advice on this??

Old 08-29-2017, 08:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Check your fuel pressure, and see if the PCM has any stored codes. It SHOULD have something to say about the running issues.....

Welcome to DF!

Old 08-31-2017, 04:34 PM
WhiteSnake91
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea I agree check fuel pressure, sounds like the fuel pump, especially with it doing it going up a hill, not too hard of a job to do, my dad did his last year by just loosening a few bolts on the bed to lift it up some and changed the pump out right there, no need to drop the tank and all that