2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

00 1500 crossmember installation issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 08:25 AM
comet424
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ah ok ya that's what I thought u ment.. so there is enough clearance at the back to get it into place as for me didn't look like I could do that ill take a look today if I cant ill post a video

and drawing I got the jist of it ya doesn't incorporated the spaces you added damn corrector software lol ill tackle it and see what goes on

Old 09-07-2017, 10:19 AM
comet424
Veteran

so been dicking around for 45 min just to get it started she wont go here is video where I got it sitting but I think its time for a beer lol

as I need one getting this damn thing in lol

Old 09-07-2017, 11:20 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Yikes! kinda crusty under there.

or is that mud.

Wire brush and grease the whole wedge surface. we used our hands and slathered it all over. We even bent the upper edge of the xmember a little.

Mind you, there were two of us with bfhs

Your crossmember is still too low....it needs to sit up higher....line up the bolt holes way back behind again and just side to side hitting.

Jack up the trans waaay up to the body to give enough room for the xmember. It needs to pound in at the same latitude that it bolts in which means it needs clearance from the trans. Then lower the trans onto it.

I recently asked a church friend about how they do it since he's a mastertech at the Dodge dealer in town and they have a frame spreader. Nice!

Last edited by Ramman18; 09-07-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:12 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

When I did my crossmember I never had any trouble really.

HAMMER it towards the rear of the truck till it falls, once it's time to reinstall, just reverse the above. HAMMER it back in from the rear, towards the front. Just have to make sure the tranny is up as far as possible.

It cannot be hammered up at all, you have to hammer it straight back where it sits, not lower back and then up. Only back straight. If the rubber mount is in the way remove it from the cross member and reinstall it on the transmission side. Just make sure the transmission is up as far as possible, and it WILL clear the bolts.