2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cooling system loss questions

Old 09-07-2017, 06:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

The gasket is between the bottom of the timing cover, and the oil pan. If you aren't careful, it tears..... Which can be a problem.

I had air tools when I did the several I have done. Makes the balancer bolt cake.

My timing cover started leaking, and that was the whole reason for going in there. I replace the pump, and timing set, simply because I was RIGHT there. Inspect the cover while you have it off. If it's really bad, replace it.

You won't lose any oil when you pull the cover, but, it is highly likely you will get some coolant in there, so, an oil change is pretty much a given when you are done.

Crank seal comes with the timing cover set. Get the set withOUT the sleeve. Fel-Pro gaskets please.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:48 PM
jtcowan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. as was mentioned earlier, be gentle when
removing the timing chain cover (to protect the oil pan gasket).
2. parts of my cover gasket surface was pitted. I smeared rtv on these sections. I also used rtv at the oil pan gasket corners.
3. 5000 miles later, I have no measurable coolant or oil leaks.
4. to remove the harmonic balancer, I borrowed a friends electric impact wrench (took the bolt right off). then borrowed a HB puller from advance auto.
5. if you need a plenum gasket repair, this would be a good time to do it.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:27 PM
WhiteSnake91
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thx for the tips, I forgot about the HB puller tool, that would make life alot easier....I may also need a tool to get that fan clutch off the waterpump, I'll research of what would be best for that. Some said they just took the whole fan and pump off then removed the fan on a bench outside the truck. Maybe the new timing chain and gears will give this truck some new life, I think it drives pretty good as is already, all the old thing needs now is a new dashboard, a decent little radio, and that Rock Solid Ram Steering fix and I'll be set lol.

Probably the most expensive thing I'll need to buy is a good torque wrench, that would come in handy for lots of other things I ever need to do too though, I've bought alot of tools here and there over time working on vehicles but it's probably the one major thing I don't own yet.

Maybe I won't need anymore repairs for a long time after this, it shocked me how well a vehicle with 224k miles could still drive and start right up still, the old owners must have took just a little care of this thing all these years :P

What's the best way to check the plenum? I haven't lost any oil and there's no smoke from the exhaust, maybe an old owner fixed it already but it wouldn't hurt to check. Just open the throttle plate and shine down into the TB with a flashlight and see if there's lots of oil pooled up in there?

Old 09-11-2017, 01:06 PM
jtcowan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. to check for a plenum gasket leak, the easiest way is to remove the air box, and look down thru the throttle body to detect any wet oil deposits in the manifold. if you are losing little oil the gasket may be fine. mine was using a quart every 400 miles.
2. to remove the fan, I simply used some thin diameter rope and tied thru the fan pulley openings and then tied the other rope end to the vehicle frame. then I placed a large adj wrench on the fan nut and hit it with a big hammer. (I call this method the poor man impact wrench method)

Search this Thread