2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

driving vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 12:01 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

If your drums were warped, turning them makes the hole round again, but not the drum. Because they were warped out of round, you now have thick spots and thin spots in the drum from making the hole round again. The heat from braking will make the thin spots hotter and the drum will warp again. Warped drums and rotors need to be replaced.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:11 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2bit
If your drums were warped, turning them makes the hole round again, but not the drum. Because they were warped out of round, you now have thick spots and thin spots in the drum from making the hole round again. The heat from braking will make the thin spots hotter and the drum will warp again. Warped drums and rotors need to be replaced.
Hmmm that makes sense. I didn't think of that. I did know that they were prone to warp again, but figured this was a cheap option for diagnosing purposes vs buying new drums to diagnose with.

Road force balance sounds like a good idea. New drums sound like a good idea. Probably have to wait until i get my red head core refund back to get new drums.

Had my wife run it up to 60 on the stands while I watched the trans and driveline, all looked solid, no movement.

Getting closer indeed.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:47 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

You said it was smooth until you put the wheels on. Maybe swap the front wheels onto the back. Or borrow a set from a friend with a Dodge? You may be right about a bent rim.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:59 PM
chromed95
Captain

Yes it was, and I will swap front to rear. After that I plan to get it road force balanced, maybe they can spot a bent wheel. If nothing changes, then I'll try new drums.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:36 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Drums are cheap option. I always just replace rotors/drums as they're only about 40 bucks. If you do all new rear brakes at least you can eliminate them.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:24 AM
chromed95
Captain

Well, I've got new drums, new shoes and hardware and new wheel cylinders. The shake is much better, but still there. Ran it up to 60 without the wheels on, just the new drums etc and it was smooth, hardly any shaking or vibration. Put the wheels on and the shake came back but not to the degree it was with the old drums on it.

I think I've got a bent wheel or hub in the rear. When on jack stands watching it turn in drive, the tire has noticeable side to side movement. I was going to take a front tire off and put it on that rear one, but I had no time. I think my next step is to take it to somebody who can properly diagnose if I have a bent hub or wheel. Not sure how the hub could of been bent, I would think the wheel would of bent first anyways. Haven't hit any huge teeth cringing potholes in this truck.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:26 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

How's the rear end? Pinion bearing okay? If issues at the hubs, there maybe issues in the pumpkin.