2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 46re Trans shifting with High rpms

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 09:06 PM
Sevorix
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 98 46re Trans shifting with High rpms

OK guys I've done a lot of research... lets see if yall can fill me in on what I'm over looking...
98 1500 4x4 w/ 46re trans... ~Shifts almost like slip, only shifts with high rpm, let off on throttle doesn't shift... get back on it a little shifts but almost revs itself up to 3500-4k.Give her the Berries so to say while in OD doesn't kick down hardly... (hence torque theory)~
WHAT IVE THOUGHT OF~~ At first I thought torque converter but everything I've looked up on testing it and no noise/bad fluid/ idles forward and back just fine...-So now.. I'm thinking its the solenoids underneath(TV,Gov,and Shift.) I have changed the rear trans mounted speed sensor. Read up that it could be the screens getting clocked that stop particles from hitting a solenoid, or the TV cable adjustment but I heard if adjusted to much out of wack it can grenade a trans in a few months. so before i go and spend 100 on a torque converter or over 100 on the solenoids/gasket/filter what does everyone think?!?
I Plan to tear into her the weekend of Friday the 20th- Sunday the 22nd, Thanks for the time and response.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Simple test: Unplug the 8 pin connector on the drivers side of the trans, about halfway back. Plugs straight down into the top of the valve body. (on the outside of the trans.) Go for a drive. You will have ZERO automatic function. So, you will have to start in first, and shift manually when appropriate. (both up, and down.) If the trans goes into the gear you tell it to, when you tell it to, you just have an electronic problem, and changing the governor pressure sensor/solenoid will likely solve the issue. If your trans still misbehaves, then you have a mechanical issue, or a combination of the two. Flaring between gears might be as simple as a band adjustment.....

Try the test, see what happens.

Welcome to DF! Whereabouts in Michigan?

Old 10-16-2017, 04:05 PM
Sevorix
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the idea i never thought about that. originally from a small town called South branch then moved all over ended up landing in Croswell/Peck area now. I'll give her a go here shortly.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Ouch, Quite ways north of Detoilet...... I am in south central michigan, just west of Adrian. Been here for quite some time.

Let us know what ya find out.