2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Idle, shifting issues in 2001 ram 1500. Auto trans w/360

Old 10-16-2017, 10:11 PM
Sarah83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Idle, shifting issues in 2001 ram 1500. Auto trans w/360

Asking for some help trouble shooting my issues (s). I recently had a used transmission/engine in my truck. The engine and tranny came from a good family friend who claimed that the parts where all good with no issues. Came out of a truck the same as mine that got converted to diesel. I had the trans serviced by dodge. Adjusted the kick down band, throttle cable, and put new oil/filter in. Was shifting ok at first. But now it won't shift to another gear sometimes, engine just revs up but no go. Doesn't do it all the time. Just sometimes. Another issue is the idle/rpms. Surges like it's iac valve... revs high at at stand still. Around 15000.. giving it some gas while in park makes it kick down to normal idle, sometimes.... I don't know if trans/idle is related.... I need help please!! She's my daily driver! Thank you. 😊

Old 10-16-2017, 10:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

What year was the donor truck?

How long ago was the trans serviced?

Old 10-16-2017, 11:00 PM
Sarah83
Default Thanks for helping me out!😊

The donor truck was a 2000. I had it serviced about two weeks ago. I was doing some looking on the interweb... lol would it possibly be my govener pressure solinoid and sensor? ? The idle issue, to me, feels like the AIC valve... I think it's called. Goes on the back end of the throttle body. I had to change it on the last engine...

Old 10-16-2017, 11:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Probably wouldn't hurt to yank the throttle body, and give it a serious cleaning. The IAC well likes to collect crap, and then it don't work so well. Also, I have had nothing but trouble from aftermarket parts in critical locations.... if there is an aftermarket IAC in there, get one from dodge, and replace it.

Yeah, sounds more like an electronic problem than anything else.... Also, possibly the front band is set too loose. Factory setting is like 2 7/8ths turns out, our one-time-resident-trans guru suggested 1.5 to 2......

Borg Warner makes a heavy duty solenoid, you can get it, along with the pressure sensor off of ebay for around 100 bucks.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:26 PM
Sarah83
Default 😊😊

Thanks! I will check out the IAC in the am. The thing that really sucks with the engine/tranny swap is I have no idea what has and has not been done. 😔 Are you thinking that it may be the govener pressure solinoid and sensor to blame for tanny issue? I know dodge adjusted the down shift band.. unsure of how much and unsure if that's the front band you are referring to?? 🤔

Old 10-17-2017, 09:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

The governor stuff is pretty notorious for causing issues, especially in high mileage trucks. The solenoid isn't self-cleaning..... and the pressure sensors had issues when they were friggin' new.

Dodge likely went by their specs for any trans adjustments. There are two bands in the trans, one can be externally adjusted, the other, you gotta go inside the trans. Front band (kickdown band) can be adjusted without dropping the pan. That's the one that should be adjusted to 2 turns out, not the 2 7/8ths the manual suggests.

Search this Thread