2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shock tower question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 11:58 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shock tower question

this is a dumb question I feel, but I want to be sure before I put it all together. I’m taking my 2 inch coil spring spacers out. The 3 shock tower bolts were welded to the spacer so I need new bolts to put in. Is there a special bolt for those 3 bolts? Or will any 3/8” hex bolt work? Will the pressure of the spring keep the bolt from spinning when tightening the shock tower down? Thanks guys!

Old 10-21-2017, 10:32 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by chromed95
this is a dumb question I feel, but I want to be sure before I put it all together. I’m taking my 2 inch coil spring spacers out. The 3 shock tower bolts were welded to the spacer so I need new bolts to put in. Is there a special bolt for those 3 bolts? Or will any 3/8” hex bolt work? Will the pressure of the spring keep the bolt from spinning when tightening the shock tower down? Thanks guys!
The spring will not stop them from spinning. Yes any bolt will do. The original bolts we're welded to a circle ring which stopped then from spinning. I can sell you the original setup if you are interested.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:51 AM
chromed95
Captain

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
The spring will not stop them from spinning. Yes any bolt will do. The original bolts we're welded to a circle ring which stopped then from spinning. I can sell you the original setup if you are interested.
Well that sucks. I don’t have a welder. I’m guessing your original setup was cut off the frame and will need welded back? I may just have to leave the spacers in then.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:23 AM
chromed95
Captain

I suppose I could bolt the tower back on before I decompress the spring, but then when it comes time to change shocks, I’d have to compress the spring again. Wish it was carriage bolted on.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:30 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by chromed95
I suppose I could bolt the tower back on before I decompress the spring, but then when it comes time to change shocks, I’d have to compress the spring again. Wish it was carriage bolted on.
Its not welded to the coil mount the bolts are welded to a circle that fits in the coil mount. The coil holds the circle up, the bolts being welded to the circle stop them from turning. I can get you a picture if you want.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:09 PM
chromed95
Captain

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Its not welded to the coil mount the bolts are welded to a circle that fits in the coil mount. The coil holds the circle up, the bolts being welded to the circle stop them from turning. I can get you a picture if you want.
I think I follow you. Send a pic if you would.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:22 PM
chromed95
Captain

Well, I had a friend with a welder come over and we welded tabs onto the new bolts so they wouldn't spin. Should work!